tartaric acid

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wino2012

Regular.
Reaction score
Can some one explain how this stuff works? How much per gallon and how it changes the overall balance of a wine? :thumb:

Same as any other acid. How much depends on a brew, between none and 2 tsps, depending on how acidic your brew would be (e.g. orange based wine would need no extra acid, whereas a leaf or flower wine might need as much as 2 tsps). It's one of the most common acids found in grapes, it supposedly increases the vinous (winelike) character of a wine brewed. It also has a habit of turning into tartarate crystals if there is an excess (these are harmless and just fall into the sediment). First Steps in Winemaking has a good section on the different types of acid
Why do you ask (out of interest)?

:cheers:

I have seen it mentioned on here a few times. I generally use fresh lemon and zest instead if citric acid. I wondered if it improves the overall balance of a wine. I like dry, sharp wine like Sav Blanc. Ive made a good batch using apple, small amount of pineapple, passion fruit, with nana's and pears chucked it. Its a damn good wine but I'm always trying to find ways to improve it and have never used tartaric :nah:

That recipe sounds fairly acid already, probably mostly malic. I couldn't honestly say how much difference type of acid would make, although it does sound like it'd be a fun experiment

Some people would say you should titrate it and be really accurate. Personally I don't do any testing for acid and just follow rules of thumb (and the recipe). If I were to test the must, I'd use either litmus or UI paper and just put a drop of must onto the paper (do NOT dip the paper into the must). Can't remember the ideal pH, think it's 4ish

Personally I find a pH meter far more accurate than litmus paper. They only cost a few pounds. The target range for the finished wine is between pH 3.4-3.8.

Latest posts

Back