Tarty Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer Jon

Reaction score
Hello All

Turns out my cider I made last year is a bit tarty. I was wondering if their was anything I can do to make it less tarty. I dad suggested adding some strawberry syrup we have left over from jam making to make it a bit more sweet and drinkable. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hello All

Turns out my cider I made last year is a bit tarty. I was wondering if their was anything I can do to make it less tarty. I dad suggested adding some strawberry syrup we have left over from jam making to make it a bit more sweet and drinkable. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

This post seems to have got lost Brewer Jon. I have no experience of this yet myself because I started my first cider last Thursday and it isn't ready yet for tasting. From what I have read, people do a few things.

1. They add a sweetener like Splenda to the cider if it is bottling time.
2. Some people add a splash of sweet apple juice to the glass and then the cider and drink it that way. You could also add a splash of cordial and try a range of fruit cider that way.

I reckon if mine is wincingly tart, I might keep a carton of apple juice around and add it to each glass before drinking. Not sure about sweeteners. I don't like the taste of them myself. Could try it though because I think I might enjoy home made cider.

I tried granulated sugar, only because I had it to hand at the time and that didn't improve it. I was thinking after my mum has made jam, I could get some of the residual syrup to add hopefully making the cider more drinkable. I just need it drank before this year's cider season because I need the bottles and barrels :D

I tried granulated sugar, only because I had it to hand at the time and that didn't improve it. I was thinking after my mum has made jam, I could get some of the residual syrup to add hopefully making the cider more drinkable. I just need it drank before this year's cider season because I need the bottles and barrels :D

If you add sugar syrup to the bulk cider and store it, I think it will start fermenting again. Not sure why your cider is still sharp tasting after adding sugar to the glass. Sorry not to be of more help.

If I kill the yeast then add the sugar, hopefully it won't start fermenting again. I shall experiment at the weekend!

Back