Tasted Too Early?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan3d86

Reaction score
I've had my ale conditioning for nearly 2 weeks (Sunday will be the 2 week mark). I took a test bottle out on Monday night and put it in the fridge and have opened it since getting home from work to taste.

It's as flat as flat can be, have I opened it too early or done something far worse? There was a little pssst noise as I opened the bottle. The bottles I used are 570ml and I used the wilko carbonation drops (2 per bottle).

Be good to hear your views, it's my first brew and I'm a little worried!

Thanks,

Dan

I've had my ale conditioning for nearly 2 weeks (Sunday will be the 2 week mark). I took a test bottle out on Monday night and put it in the fridge and have opened it since getting home from work to taste.

It's as flat as flat can be, have I opened it too early or done something far worse? There was a little pssst noise as I opened the bottle. The bottles I used are 570ml and I used the wilko carbonation drops (2 per bottle).

Be good to hear your views, it's my first brew and I'm a little worried!

Thanks,

Dan
Generally i have mine at room temp for 10/14 days then into cooler for the same. Think general rule of thumb is 2+2+2:thumb:

dan bring it into the warmth for a couple of weeks , and hope theres some live yeast still in there. you all ways keep your beers warm after bottling to allow for carbonation, then store cool to condition. dont rush beer making it takes months rather than a few weeks , dont believe the time instructions on kits there total fiction.

That's what I've been aiming for but thought I'd open one to try. I'm hoping it's just too early rather than a wasted 40 pints!

It's been bottled and in a cupboard sat at 19 degrees for coming up to two weeks this Sunday

It should be carbonated after 2 weeks, how long was it in the FV for ? when I bottle I don't keep in the fermentor for more than 2 weeks as after this too much yeast drops out.

It should be carbonated after 2 weeks, how long was it in the FV for ? when I bottle I don't keep in the fermentor for more than 2 weeks as after this too much yeast drops out.

It was in the FV for 2 weeks and then bottled.

If i leave it for another 2 weeks and its still flat, am i able to dump it into a PB and then use the CO2 to carb it?

If the caps are sealed and there is sugar in the bottle then there is absolutely no reason why they won't carbonate eventually!

As a general rule, the only things that will slow down carbonation are "low temperature" (I carb at 20 degrees for two weeks before even trying a bottle) or "low yeast count".

The low yeast count is not going to be a problem in your case. Last year, after sitting in an FV for 10 weeks at 10 degrees, it took only a couple of weeks at 20 degrees to carb up a lager.

"Yes." you can move the brew to a PB and carb it with CO2 but (there is always a "but" or two!) A. It will expose the beer to infection. B. It will oxygenate the beer and may cause off-tastes. and C. It is an expensive way to carbonate a beer.

PATIENCE is the key!

I suggest that you move it to somewhere warm (20-22 degrees) and dark; and then leave it alone for a minimum of two weeks. :thumb:

Thanks Dutto, I'll get it a bit warmer, leave it well alone and cross my fingers

First of all, throw the carbonation drops away, theyre not very good.
They dont dissolve properly and just sit on the bottom. Now, because "sugary" water is denser than normal water you have to wait until suspended yeast falls onto the sugar at the bottom of the bottle. This can take a very long time. It will carbonate but could take many months.
Prime with brewing sugar or castor sugar.

Latest posts

Back