TC - MLF

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a form of fermentation and does require a little heat. However it it is slow process. I tend to do cider in the autumn so fermentation is over before it gets to cold. MLF has always started pretty quick but slows in winter when the temps drop however it picks up again in march april. If you got it on now and left it until the autumn in the garage or shed then I am sure you will get MLF. :thumb:

Wiki:
"While sometimes described as a secondary fermentation, chemically, malolactic fermentation is a decarboxylation, which means carbon dioxide is liberated in the process"

It will probably but I think it is better to mature it in bulk for 3-4 months preferably 6 then prime as normal and then leave it for another 3-4 months before drinking. If you do that you will certainly have soem cider for wassailing on 12th night :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't worry so much Jim, mine is kept in the workshop and goes from a few degrees above freezing in winter to 20+ in summer, and it turns out just fine. :thumb:

Mine all started MLF quite happily at room temperature.

Just an observation, but there is much more MLF on mine on the cider in the plastic container compared to that in the demijohns. When I've tried it in the past with a demijohn topped right up to the top I've never managed to induce it. I think air is a key component.

I am getting confused now as I have just remebered that I read that MLF can take place during normal alcohol fermentation. :wha: :wha:

Also just read this about temp, so it will be fine under your desk :lol:

Higher fermentation temperatures which is more conducive to LAB growth and an earlier completion of MLF. The optimal temperatures for malolactic fermentation is between 20-37°C (68-98.6°F) while the process is significantly inhibited at temperatures below 15°C (59°F). Often wine stored in the barrels in the cellar during the winter following fermentation will often have a very prolonged malolactic fermentation due to the cool cellar temperatures.

Latest posts

Back