Tea ball infusers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlentoranMark

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've had a few clarity issues and I've pinned it down to hops.

14tws28.jpg

Pre boil without hops.

23kdwlg.jpg

Post boil with hops.

Now it usually clears in my FV but anything I can do to help my beer clear is always helpful.

So I've wrapped my hop filter with 200 micro stainless steel sheet. Hopefully it won't clog.

$_57.JPG

I've also bought some tea infusers one of which arrived today.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002Z2IZ76/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It's pretty small but I thought if I put hops in it during the boil and see how it performs. I bought 3 different types so I'll keep the forum posted on how well work.

Pretty inexpensive, they just take time to arrive.

Any thought's or experiences?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you giving the wort a good whirlpool after the boil with some finings (whirfloc/brewbrite/etc)? Most of the hops should drop out with a good whirlpool and leave you with clear wort. Otherwise a hop bag will contain all the hop matter, but just make sure to get one large enough for the hops to still freely move around in the bag during the boil to extract everything as efficiently as possible.

Are you giving the wort a good whirlpool after the boil with some finings (whirfloc/brewbrite/etc)? Most of the hops should drop out with a good whirlpool and leave you with clear wort. Otherwise a hop bag will contain all the hop matter, but just make sure to get one large enough for the hops to still freely move around in the bag during the boil to extract everything as efficiently as possible.

I use Irish Moss with every brew, I just thought these tea infusers would be handy to try out. My beers always clear in the FV but the less gunk that goes into the FV the better.

I've seen hop balls that are only a couple of £££ but these tea infusers from China are similar for a far cheaper price.

Not sure what hop filter you use already ? the mesh you are adding should clearly help, as long as it doesn't clog as you say.

As a final obeservation, if your beer clears in the FV and you get nice, drinkable beer you are happy with its probably not a major issue.

I use whole leaf hops in the boiler, teaspoon of irish moss at 15 mins, and have a fairly basic hop filter in my peco boiler and end up with this:

BDG-8.jpg

BDG-10.jpg

Back