Temp control on large fermentators

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnyc

Reaction score
I'm just curious as to how the micro breweries control the temperature of the fermentation with large fermentation. Do the FV have temp control built in or what.

So I take it a heating coil as well depending on the brew. Does this come built into these units

Because of their thermal mass and the exothermic nature of fermentation only cooling is needed. as said a chiller unit pumping chilled liquid into a SS coil in the fermenter.

Forum member Uncle Pumble at Cheshire brew house has one big chiller unit running constantly and each fermentor has an ATC800 controller which controls a solenoid valve so when coolant is needed the vavle is opened allowing coolant into the SS coil and shut off when the right temp is reached.

:thumb:

Don't need heating on big batches as they emit their own heat. Only need to cool.

K

Thanks for the info guys what size batches are we talking that don't need heating?

I've done a few 50l batches that didn't need heating.

That said, in the summer, as I ferment in a really well insulated fridge I do t need to heat even a 20l batch.

K

Bloody hell. Wouldn't have thought that would be the case.

K

Back