Temperature control settings (ink bird)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayk34

Landlord.
Reaction score
was looking some advice on the settings from anyone who uses an ink bird and heating pad to maintain temperature during fermentation. I'm only on my second kit but have managed to keep the temperature pretty constant during the second batch by wrapping the fv in a number of coats and putting a 2 litre milk container full of boiling water between the coats and fv during the day.

I was researching temperature control on the forum and kept seeing inkbird control mentioned and googled it. When I seen pictures of it, I realised I have one in the garage that I used for raising seedlings a few years back. Its the inkbird itc306uk. So to cut a long story short was looking to see how everyone sets theirs up to maintain steady temperature as possible. If for example in the brew I am doing at the minute states to keep temp between 21-27°C, I was thinking of setting the target temp to midway point 24°C and temperature differential of 1.5°C so that the heating pad kicks in at 22.5 and then when it switches off at 25 will be enough buffer there before it would reach 27. Does this sound sensible ?

I set the differential to its minimum - half a degree - as I feel the temp is best kept as steady as possible. A larger differential is useful to stop a fridge short cycling but I don't see any harm for a heater. I use a water bath so temps rise and fall slowly. Remember though, that the FV will be warmer than the belt initially due to the heat given off during the early stages of fermentation.

I set mine to +/- 0.4 I have the Compressor delay set to 5 mins. I have the thermostat behind a sponge cloth taped to the side of the FV and I use a USB fan for air circulation though I only think this is necessary when I have two FV's in the fridge. I don't use a heat pad I use a 12" tube heater and have the FV raised above it, I don't insulate the FV. I find it stays close to the set temperature.
On another note I tend to start fermentation temperature at the lower end as specified for the yeast I am using after 4 days I raise the temperature 1C a day until near the upper end and then leave until 14 days are up.

Back