Temperature Issues - Ballymena,Northern Ireland

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBilly

Reaction score
Hi all

I feel like such a newbie, well I am. I am fermenting my first brew (Coopers Ausie Larger in the Coopers new DIY kit). I have done exactly as the instructions said and my beer got off to good start. I started on Tuesday evening this week. I put the fermenter on the floor of our linen closet (sit at about 22 C usually).

However, our heating stopped working from about late Wednesday or Thursday, not to sure. So I have battled maintain my temp (wrapped it in blankets much to the amusement of my wife and mother in-law. The temp dropped to 18 C and then at the peak of our heating crisis went down to between 14 and 16 C. Our heating is now back on so the linen closet is now back at 22 C ish and my fermenter temp is rising. I should hopefully be able to raise my temp to back to proper levels.

My concern is that it looks like the yeasties have stopped doing their bit. Is there any way to kick start fermentation again or would I have to add more yeast?

Please Help - pretty desperate not to fluff my first brew to badly. I am seriously considering investing in a brew belt for unforseen heating issues.

Cheers
BrewBilly

I reckon do nothing.

Fermentation gets much less vigorous after the initial stages, so I suspect it's still fine. If it was too cold it'll probably just slow things down a bit.

Have you taken any hydrometer readings yet? That's the only real way to check how fermentation is progressing.

Yes, I have just finished taking one now. My OG was 1040 which was expected. The reading now was 1020, they brew smelled like beer and tasted sort of like beer. Just holding thumbs.

I started the same kit Wednesday evening, maintained 21oC ever since and today my airlock activity has slowed right down. I reckon your brew is therefore doing fine if mine has calmed down alot and was put together the day after yours and has had a constant temp.

Good luck :)

I just took a quick peek in the closet,seems to still something happening, see a few bubbles sitting on the krausen collar. Still holding thumbs. I think the best strategy to adopt is forget about it for the next week or so the start taking SG readings.

Sounds alright to me mate. I'd give it plenty of time, don't be too eager to rack it, if you can help yourself.

John_Henry said:
Sounds alright to me mate. I'd give it plenty of time, don't be too eager to rack it, if you can help yourself.

Thanks John_Henry, I am planning on just leaving it in our linen closet for another 8/9 days, I'll start taking SG readings then to determine FG then bottle.

I cant wait for my own brew, been getting by on store bought beer - really jealous of everyone tucking into their own stuff.

What kit should I do next,any suggestions, Im quite enjoying IPA's at the moment, what is the Coopers Pale Ale like??

Regards
BrewBilly

coldlager said:
I started the same kit Wednesday evening, maintained 21oC ever since and today my airlock activity has slowed right down. I reckon your brew is therefore doing fine if mine has calmed down alot and was put together the day after yours and has had a constant temp.

Ignore what I said, turns out my air seal had failed again. I've repaired it and the brew is still releasing Co2.

Sorry.

coldlager said:
coldlager said:

Ignore what I said, turns out my air seal had failed again. I've repaired it and the brew is still releasing Co2.

Sorry.

No Worries

My brew is still going, although slower than at first, I still see bubbles on the krausen ring (as Im using the coopers kit) my temp is now back up to 18 (as per the temp strip) so holding thumbs for another week or so before I start taking more SG readings.

Cheers
Brewbilly

Good stuff. I can't suggest anything I'm afraid, I haven't a clue whats available now days. I haven't done a kit in about 5 years. Pop down your nearest brew shop, they'll help you out. Good luck with it.

In Antrim here my beer under the stairs started off at 20 but now down to 16 should be fine. Its a nog so if it sticks i'll stir and put a brewing belt on it.

Next brew try standing the fv in a water bath heated with a fish tank heater/thermostat.It will help to keep the temps up and stable.

For this brew chuck a blanket over it and leave it...the yeast will eventually win.

The Betta brew IPA is very good and has had good reports on here. I made 2 very enjoyable brews with it when I did kits.

My understand of the science is that the worst that will happen is the yeast will just stop doing their job and go to sleep, then when you warm them up they wake up.

I've heard from more experienced brewers that its pretty hard to kill them off unless you boil them or freeze them so I would think you would be fine.

This is all coming from me....another newbie to this.

Would have to be a hell of a lot colder to kill the yeast, you done the right thing wrapping in blankets and getting the temp back up when you could. Sounds like it's going fine. Consider getting an immersion fish tank style heater. I got one for a tenner on ebay, sanitise and stick it straight in your brew, keep it at the perfect temp :thumb:

The Coopers IPA is worth trying, nice beer, good value and it's a 40 pint kit. The best IPA kit I've done is the St Peters IPA, but it's a premium kit and you only get 32 pints
:cheers:

Bloody cold here in belfast, but im using a submersible fish tank heater popped in the fv. my canadian blonde is quite comfortable at 20-22c. Started the brew last thursday and will start taking readings at the weekend [10-11 days later] and if its not ready, i'll leave it for another week maybe depending on work.

bottler said:
my canadian blonde is quite comfortable at 20-22c
I would maybe turn it down a degree or two, 22c is right on the limit where you will start to pick up off flavours

bottler said:
Turned it down a notch :thumb:

:thumb: Read what you said on the other thread about coopers temps, and you're right they do say that but I would seriously avoid brewing at those kind of temperatures. I always try to aim for 18deg

Thanks for this thread, didn't fancy paying £20 for a brewbelt, didn't think of a fish tank heater, will get one of those instead.

Latest posts

Back