THE BEST ELEMENT FOR THE JOB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to order the element from homebrew builder as I only want to buy and build once
Thanks to all you guys for your input its been good fun il post some pics of the build

Hi
This may be too little too late, but I always extol the virtues of these 3kw monstas!:

First requirement is they're good value (IMHO) at £22 delivered. Think they're incalloy (but supplier doesn't state...) and standard kettle element fittings, hole size, etc. Ready wired and just need a 13 amp plug, and they're BIG! I use an M40 lock nut, and there's enough thread left to secure the shroud (to protect from boil-overs, splashes etc). I have one in my boiler, and another in my HLT:

I get them here:

http://www.unifit.co.uk/powersearch.php ... pecials=no

Cheers
Chris

Thanks for your post on elements i was looking at those elements i think they are used to heat saunas.
Might be worth looking into the look the ticket

boab42stout said:
Thanks for your post on elements i was looking at those elements i think they are used to heat saunas.
Might be worth looking into the look the ticket

Just checked the Unifit website - they're described as kettle elements, but I'm sure they're good for many other jobs, too.

My main observation is that they've just knocked a tenner off the price, so £11.98 for a 3kw incalloy pigtail element? BARGAIN! :) I'll have to get a spare.

Cheers
Chris

Hi
This may be too little too late, but I always extol the virtues of these 3kw monstas!:

First requirement is they're good value (IMHO) at £22 delivered. Think they're incalloy (but supplier doesn't state...) and standard kettle element fittings, hole size, etc. Ready wired and just need a 13 amp plug, and they're BIG! I use an M40 lock nut, and there's enough thread left to secure the shroud (to protect from boil-overs, splashes etc). I have one in my boiler, and another in my HLT:

I get them here:

Cheers
Chris

How are these elements holding up in the boiler?

I'm currently saving for a 50ltr boiler and have been looking for an element. Wanted to use just one element due to the planned power supply to the brew shed.

Will the unifit 3kw element be up to the job? Can't best it at the price

How are these elements holding up in the boiler?

Very well - no discolouration or other issues after a dozen brews. It's acquired a thin film of limescale, thanks to all the carbonates Thames Water provides. Now, where's my CRS...

Will, this will be fine in a 50 litre boiler. I matched it with a 2kw element in my 60 litre boiler, to use 5kw to get to the boil. Too much - it gets to the boil before I've finished sparging. I've put 54 litres into my boiler for a 10 gallon/46 litre brew in the FV, so I think the 3kw Unifit element on its own would be quite enough - plenty in a 50 litre boiler. Maintains a good rolling boil on its own, as well.

Cheers,
Chris

Will, this will be fine in a 50 litre boiler. I matched it with a 2kw element in my 60 litre boiler, to use 5kw to get to the boil. Too much - it gets to the boil before I've finished sparging. I've put 54 litres into my boiler for a 10 gallon/46 litre brew in the FV, so I think the 3kw Unifit element on its own would be quite enough - plenty in a 50 litre boiler. Maintains a good rolling boil on its own, as well.

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks for that. I had the idea of a 5kw element and controlling that some how. Now think this might be a much better and cheaper way of doing it. Roll on pay day will be ordering one then

any element over 3kw and you will need a beefier electrical circuit to fed it, running 2 lower amp elements off independent ring supplies is the simple solution most of us go for.

any element over 3kw and you will need a beefier electrical circuit to fed it, running 2 lower amp elements off independent ring supplies is the simple solution most of us go for.

I'm with Fil on that - max for a UK domestic socket (single OR double) is 13 amps. Watts divided by volts = amps, so 3000 / 240 = 12.5; 5000 / 240 = 20.83 which = overheat and electrical fire :electric: That's why (again, as Fil says) I used 2 elements to achieve 5kw (not realising at the planning stage that this was overkill)

Talking of overkill, Fil, how's the CFC doing? Ten gallons from boiler to FV in 38 seconds, or what? Lol! Seriously, an impressive bit of kit (but off-subject). Back on-subject, didn't you use 2 of the 1.5kw Amazon elementsfor a 2 element solution? (I have a vague recollection of a post...). How did you get on with them - were they an easy fit?

Cheers,
Chris

I though that might be the case but my a-level electronics is not as good as it once was. Sounds like 3kw will be more than enough as this is for a boiler not a HLT so no need to control as much.

Thanks

Hi

I get them here:

Cheers
Chris

Just went to order one of these and they are discontinued :(

Seems like Unifit has relisted them at a higher price :sad: I saw the Allspares listing too, where they're still £22 delivered. Shame they didn't stay at £12 for very long, but still good value IMHO.

Cheers,
Chris

I wil be ordering from allspares as soon as I get a chance today can't complain about £22 delivered when other are going for £50+.

Latest posts

Back