The Homemade Pizza Thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, wood fired oven. The aim is to have flames licking across the roof for a pizza cook. Doming is where you lift the pizza up towards the roof where it’s hotter, but get the base off the stone floor. It takes about 10 seconds tops but cooks through any toppings that looked a bit underdone.
Thanks, all makes sense now.

As a bread maker with some 20 years experience, tonite was another pizza experiment.....turned out to be the best yet..
Even the wife said "Wow"
Dough made yesterday in the bread machine, wrapped in cling film and put in the fridge overnight and then
stretched out this evening and gently covered in my own home made pasata and and then other bits. Put on a "proper"
pizza tray and whacked it in the oven on the highest heat. After all these years I feel that I've finally got there and mastered it!

Inspired by this thread I thought I'd give it a go. This is last nights effort, a basic margherita with some salami chucked on. Mixing the dough is a lot harder than it looks on youtube but it tasted gorgeous.

pizza.jpg

Mixing the dough is a lot harder than it looks on youtube but it tasted gorgeous.
We got worn out kneading for fifteen minutes (we switched every few). If I need a workout, I'll do it by hand; otherwise, I've started using the mixer with the dough hook. I don't know if using the mixer is an inferior method, overall, but it seems to do a good job.

4th time trying the ooni. 8hr prove at RT, 2hr bulk prove, 6hrs balled.

I looked up the 'neapolitan slap', which I think really improved the crust. With the ooni, I turned it right down after launching. I made sure the pizza was only just in the oven. This increased the cooking time, but I didn't suffer from any burns on underside of the base.

I tried mutti pizza sauce. Just out of curiosity, but I wasn't a fan. Much prefer blending tinned tomatoes, salt, basil and garlic.

Next time I will try and up the hydration of the dough, this one was 64%. I would like the toppings to have been cooked slightly more. I mean, they were fine, but a tiny bit more would be perfect. However, if I left them in for any longer, the bases would burn.

IMG_20211108_194730.jpg

IMG_20211108_194843.jpg

I love pizza and have spent a few years perfecting them how I like them, lockdown gave me the time to really nail them. I use a simple dough left for a day or so in the fridge, nothing fancy, sauce with oregano rather than basil and a mix of fresh and grated mozzarella - why do they look so different?

By far the biggest step up in the process was a pizza stone for the bottom of my normal oven, I don't have an Ooni or anything like that, the temp only goes up to 250°C, but I can get really nice results. I recommend a blend of T55 and 00 flour, perhaps with a little regular strong bread flour too (blending flour is fun) and for an extra crispy base, roll it out using cornflour. I also recommend cooking your toppings before adding them to the pizza so they are just being warmed through rather than cooked on the dough.

This one is bacon and mushroom - so good! :thumbsup:

bacon and mushroom.jpeg

OK I feel drawn to contribute in a small way to this thread.
I make pizza dough using an 00 'Pizza' flour, adding a little honey and olive oil to the flour before kneading in a stand mixer (my best bread making purchase by far). So now my method may be a little heathen to the purists but it's such a quick and easy method I have stuck with it.
I fry in a cast Iron frying pan with a little olive oil, some red onion, red pepper sliced mushroom, garlic, chopped anchovies and prosciutto then remove from the pan.
I add a teaspoon of green pesto, a little chilli powder and black pepper. When its all softened I remove it from the pan.
Then add the prepared dough to the pan which still has some grease from the cooking and shape it to the pan, add sundried tomato paste and spread it about to cover the base, add the pre fried ingredients and chuck on some grated extra mature cheddar and parmesan then heat the pan on a medium heat (careful not to overdo it) for 2 or three minutes. Place in a pre heated oven 200C for about 10 mins.

This is a Jamie Oliver method as taken from here
VIDEO

Mr Wizard,
I was curious if you used a solid round pan or solid but with holes or simply a screen?
The only one I have not bought is this hybrid below. I didn't know anyone made them in nonstick carbon steel but it looks good too for pizzas.
View attachment 57350
They are the ones - totally non stick and the pizza base comes out perfect

Really enjoyed reading this thread. I have an Ooni3 with gas attachment and use dough recipes from the Pizza Bible book, 48hr cold proove.
I find it interesting working with dough and you know when you’ve got it right or wrong by how it handles.
Took a while to get the hang of things but getting good and consistent results now.
87D05DDF-B9A8-4D4B-99ED-F666B896257A.jpeg

Yeah, i did read that some people believe the wood adds flavour, others dispute this due to the short cooking time.

When it comes to barbecues, I always favour charcoal.... but like you said, gas is easier and if the flavour added by the wood pellets is debatable...might be the way to go.

I did see that multi fuel model, however one thing that put me off was the gas attachment was sold separate and was about £70.
I have the older Ooni3 gas model. It started out as a pellet model but I soon changed that. The pellets are a real pain. You need 6 hands when cooking to keep them topped up and can they’re inconsistent. Sometimes they choke and you’re left with billowing acrid smoke. Gas is so much easier and I’m firmly in the camp that the pizza isn’t in there long enough to pick up any flavour from wood/pellets.

Latest posts

Back