The Homemade Pizza Thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's everyone using for dough?
I think the PizzaApp is great. I've used it for straight doughs, sourdoughs, poolish and biga's with a range of fermentation times from 8 hours to 3 days. It's always worked really well.
Sourdough and poolish bases are by far the tastiest, and there has been surprisingly little difference between the two. That being said, my starter has picked up a funky yeast recently and the last few breads have had a lot more flavour. It's been 3 weeks since we've made pizza:eek:, must get a lunch lined up next weekend.
My goto is the bbc recipe that I found years ago. It's real quick.

10 fl Oz of Greek yoghurt. (Doesn't have to be, even the cheapo stuff works - ie Tesco brand etc)
1/2 tsp salt
10 oz flour.

Mix n done. I have tried to let it rest for a couple of hours with varied results. You can even let the yoghurt go waaaaay past its sell by date (left unopened) and you will get a sour dough that way too =)

My goto is the bbc recipe that I found years ago. It's real quick.

10 fl Oz of Greek yoghurt. (Doesn't have to be, even the cheapo stuff works - ie Tesco brand etc)
1/2 tsp salt
10 oz flour.

Mix n done. I have tried to let it rest for a couple of hours with varied results. You can even let the yoghurt go waaaaay past its sell by date (left unopened) and you will get a sour dough that way too =)

That's how I started making pizza, super easy and very quick returns, I find it's a bit more like cake than bread, but it is nice in it's own way, kids love it.

Where do you get fresh anchovies?

They're used as tapas/antipasti, you can certainly get them in Tesco and Waitrose although here we get them from Italy whereas I imagine in North America they probably get them from Peru or somewhere.

Supplies of anchovies in general have been rather patchy since phase 1 of Brexit happened, so I've ended up trying quite a few lately. Much though I love fresh, personally for pizza I prefer the traditional jar/can ones, I need the salt hit to contrast with the mozzarella. The Tesco Cantabrian ones are more like fresh and not salty/strong enough, the Coop ones are waayyy too salty, John West aren't bad but a bit bland (and recently saw shrinkflation from 100g to 95g jars), my favourites are the Sainsbury garlic/herb ones.

Inspired I've just made some dough...although it'll be eaten tonight as we're very hungry! I got some 00 flour and followed what I've done previously with some olive oil,sugar,salt and yeast.

Just knocked up my second one with my current recipe - so it goes in the bread machine on the pizza programme - wrapped in cling film and left in the fridge for 24 hours
Gently worked out and stretched and covered in my passata, left over chorizo, mushrooms, cheese, and anchovies on my half! Yep, I can say it was absolutely spot on.
I do make my own pasata and freeze in bags which makes it all a bit more satisfying - onwards and upwards!

Saturday night pizza from scratch. Sweet pepper and mushroom. Yum.

piz.jpg

I've been using this flour, semolina and yeast mix from Waitrose. Although it says it makes 2 bases it will easily make 4 thin bases. £1.50 for 500g.

piz1.jpg

Home made pasata recipe here guys....
chop half an onion very finely and fry very gently with 2 tbs of oil
add 1 large clove of minced garlic
add half teaspoon of dried oregano
add half teaspoon of dried basil
add half teaspoon of salt
add i can of chopped tomatoes
simmer for 5 minutes
put portions in freezer bags
spread on pizza base and enjoy!

I’m not in the same league as others here, I buy the pizza bases from M&S and use the tomato and chilli pasta sauce for the base results are better than shop bought but not as good pizza restaurants, but living in a 3rd floor flat a pizza oven is not an option.

Look into an effeuno oven if you want a great pizza oven for a flat acheers.

You can still make great pizza in a conventional oven though with the right stone/steel/pan and recipe for the type of pizza

My pizza sauce recipe comprises:

Olive oil
Garlic to taste
tomato puree
either fresh tomatoes left out in the light to ripen OR a tin of plum tomatoes
dried Mexican Oregano to taste (not very traditional but it is excellent)
salt n pepper

if you are feeling fancy, a dash of Worcestershire sauce << it's the secret ingredient and it really wakes everything up !

Waring: Worcestershire sauce is not vegan - it's rotten fish!

I sometimes sieve the tomatoes for an extra smooth sauce, especially if it's a tin, the fresh tomatoes make good chunky sauce, the tinned less so.

never ever blend the tomato sauce if it has the seeds in it, you will end up with a pink and bitter mess

if your tomatoes are not ripe (naughty naughty) you can compensate by adding a little sugar, half a teaspoon is normally enough to round them off

simmer until the oil separates.

That's it!

Back