the peach wine experiment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjaminehill

Reaction score
hi all, thought this may intrest people so posting for all to see.

There is a lot of peach products at the supermarkets these days. All of which can be used to make a peach wine. Im going to try them all and compare them all.

my plan is to compare the following:-

- prep-time
- brew-time
- Price
- how easy the ingredients were to come by
- taste - yes the big be and end all
- colour

from this i want to scale one of them up to make a 5 gal batch but not any time soon.

my Plan is to only use products with peach and maybe grape. no other fruit will be used in this experiment. I will keep all the brews to the same sugar level around 1050g. All will be brewed until the end of fermentation. I will document each brew step by step on separate posts and link all to this page.

the following is a list of all products i have found so far and will be testing

- fresh peachs (1.5kg)
- tinned peachs (1.5kg drained weigh)
I have seen some recipes only call for 2 tins of peachs but i want to use the same amount as the fresh
- grape and peach juice (6% peach)
- peach necter (30% peach)
- grape and peach high juice (20% peach)
- twinnings peach and cherry blossom tea bags
- Robinsons Fruit & Barley Peach (10% peach)
I Know the last two products are not solely peach and/or grape but sure them and thought what the hell

If anyone Has seen any other products please let me know and i will add them to the list.

Peach dilute cordial? dunno if you can get it there though? i can here in turkey but may do a fresh peach one this year once they ripen properly as they tend to sell them rock hard here.

Lidl peach nectar is a nightmare, I did a thread about it here somewhere. Incredible amounts of pulp.
Might work better if you start it in a bucket and strain through something fairly fine after, say, 4 or 5 days, into another FV.
The wine I eventually got was fine, though

thx oldbloke ill keep that in mind.

im doing a number of bucket peach wines so will add this to the list

thx for all comments

good luck! I did a wow with peach juice. Never did clear and had racked it so many times I was down to 3/4 gallon, so gave up and used it. was not great and I will not be repeating it.

I did some peach iced tea and used 24 cans of tinned peaches. There was about an inch thick layer of mushy peach on the top after about 10 days of fermenting skimmed it off and there is just a little bit on it now. But I added pectolase as well.

Have a look HERE

thx for all the comments,

the idea is to use my DJ's as testers for my 5gal wines. to get a good list of tried and tested recipes in my BLACK BOOK (wines that i like). i think i will always be testing new flovours out in the DJ's. some will head up to the 5gal and some to the bin :lol:

I recently made a wine using, tinned peaches x2 1lb of wheat and 500g of mixed dried fruit. It's in the dj bubbling away slowly smelt really nice when transferring, good luck with your list.

Back