The truth about engine stop start systems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stop start was developed to cheat the co2 and other emissions figures on the old standardised testing for new vehicles. In that "cycle" it had a period of idling to simulate traffic lights etc.
Having S/S made a big difference in the overall numbers and hence car tax rates . All goes towards that sales patter.

If I’m stood in traffic I can watch the average mpg drop if I have turned off SS in my caddy.

It’s 6 years old on the original AGM battery and starter motor. The batteries are only 200 quid if you’re daft enough to buy from a main dealer and Halfords.

Is it a con? Not for me as it works just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Although I say in my previous post about it being a marketing tool, my Merc does stop the engine at tdc. To restart the engine it just performs a single injection and the diesel combusts and the engine is restarted with no involvement of the starter motor or battery.
If it's been stood a while and the compression has dropped, it will use the starter. But it's very clever and knows what to do. How much fuel I have saved.... Who knows.
It rarely gets used as the majority of my driving is motorway.

Depends a lot on the traffic light timing too, some countries have very long times for lights changing and it would work pretty well in those but the UK has short times. As far as I know it's been compulsory for decades in Switzerland, all cars have to turn off the engine at the lights so it must be a boon for them.

First post btw, hi all :)

You can disable mine on my VW it annoying and when you want to get going from a junction you wait 3 days for any action,it’s off all the time.

Don't know whether it has been mentioned already but on our Fords they have stop start but it doesn't kick in unless you handbrake neutral.
Even then it can be turned off on the screen or a push button.
It very rarely gets used.
They have gel batteries I believe to keep charge a lot longer obviously for all the stop starting.
With regard to other things mentioned, they have a stop start button but the key does not have to be in the dash or ignition, just in your pocket or bag.
The car brakes for you, only in a potential accident situation, as in someone runs out into the road, the car in front stops suddenly (slams on). It has a lot faster reaction time than most people. Auto lights (Auto main beam saves having to dip up and down continually at night, very helpful) and wipers are helpful and can always be over ridden by the driver. Lane drift rumbles the wheel and guides you back into the lane as the car thinks you may be nodding off. The car checks blind spots for us before changing lanes etc.
There is an eco button which massively improves mpg but drops acceleration, turbo etc etc. The Mrs uses that regular when driving but I don't really bother.
We can both drive perfectly well but we welcome the technology that helps us stay safer when going from a to b.
We are both non users of the stop start in all honesty.

I have all the shiz-diz on my car. Start-stop, auto braking, lane departure, blind spot warning, hill assist, auto-cruise, parking beepers, self park, auto wipers & lights, keyless start & entry etc...

What do I use? Just the wipers and lights really. If I'm stuck in traffic or something I'll let the start-stop do it's thing. I don't like the auto cruise so I use the ordinary type.

I semi agree about things being too sophisticated that a home mechanic can only do basic stuff but then again, with regards to the engine, if we want to reduce emissions then we need the technology.

For the average car buyer, yesterday's gadgets/technology is old hat and they want the latest trinkets regardless of whether they use than or not.

I do think that systems such as auto park and beepers makes people lazy and before long I expect many will be unable to park correctly unassisted.

I also think that people who rave on about the gubbermint cheating this and that should invest in a tin hat. :-)

I also think that people who rave on about the gubbermint cheating this and that should invest in a tin hat.

I for one am glad the people you refer to above bring these cheats to book and its not the government who are cheating us its the car manufacturers, using stop start to lower the MPG figures then using these figures to help sell the cars is wrong and after the recent VW (and other manufacturers) emissions scandal i would have thought they would have learned their lesson.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back