The white poppy. [poll]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are white poppies attention seeking rubbish?

• Yes.

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • No.

Votes: 16 47.1%

• Total voters

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I totally agree with John Mercer on this.

Johnny Mercer MP
✔@JohnnyMercerUK

White poppies are attention seeking rubbish. Ignore the wearers of them. If you don’t want to wear a poppy don’t bother; they fought and died so you could choose. But don’t deliberately try and hijack it’s symbolism for your own ends. Well done @BrianWoodMC

White poppy: How is it different from the red remembrance symbol?

The 2018 poppy appeal has launched, and for two weeks many people will wear them to remember British soldiers who died in wartime.

Many will stick to the traditional red paper flower for this period of remembrance, but other colours may catch the eye - white poppies, or perhaps even purple.

More people than ever before are wearing white poppies, says the group which makes them.

Red poppies began being used as a symbol in 1921 to help to remember those who fought in war.

The flower was chosen because it grows wild in many fields in northern France and Belgium - where some of the deadliest battles of World War One took place.

The Royal British Legion, which sells the red poppy, is clear that it is not a sign of support for war and death.

Instead, the RBL stresses it is a symbol for remembrance and hope and should not be seen as a symbol of religion or politics.

Nonetheless, some people feel the red poppy has become political, and that politicians use it to help justify war.

Meanwhile, white poppies are distributed by the Peace Pledge Union - the UK's oldest secular and pacifist group.

Created in 1933 - just 12 years after the red version - many people wore white poppies to stress the "never again" message, which emerged after World War One, and which pacifists feared was slipping away.

Like the red poppy, the white badge also symbolises remembrance for victims of war.

The Peace Pledge Union says the white poppy also represents a lasting commitment to peace and the belief that war should not be celebrated or glamorised.

It says the white poppy remembers "all those killed in war" - while the Royal British Legion says it "advocates a specific type of remembrance connected to the British Armed Forces".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45971456

_104018406_gettyimages-157875187.jpg

Never heard of the peace lot til now but it's not as if it's a brand new , snowflake movement...I dunno... there's always something..

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they are attention seeking rubbish. I would, however, defend someone's right to wear such attenuation seeking rubbish if they so choose.

Spot on!
That is precicesly what free speech is all about.

People lose sight of the difference between hate-speech which is deliberate incitement to violence or injury or repression, and free speech to be able to spout rubbish and have your own version of rubbish heard by anyone who chooses to listen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!
I'm happy to donate to the RBL because of the work they do with veteran and serving military personnel but I don't want to wear a poppy, whatever the colour.

Same here Col, an old boy comes round our estate every year and i always donate to the RBL i like you do not wear the poppy.

Im probably just stupid but having read chippys OP I still cant work out the difference between the red poppy and the white one. Arent they both to remember soldiers who have died in battle?

I might be an old miserable b@stard but come on

The poppy, as was originally presented, is the symbol of remembrance of those people that had the b@lls to fight for our freedom about a million years ago, or so it seems to the younger generation these days.
It's so easy these days to forget what our fathers and grandfather's (female's included I might add) did for us so.............................

Don't mess with stuff you don't understand. White F@KING poppy? READ YOUR HISTORY.

Apologies to admin if I've upset anyone but this is something I can't easily forgive even though I've not even served in her majesty's forces

Again, a proud Brit. Tom

Last edited:
I'm not a pacifist, so wouldn't wear a white poppy no. However, those who fought in the wars fought for the our right to chose, so if people wish to wear a white poppy they should be entitled to do so. However, I equally have the right to judge pacifism as a flawed ideology that is just as wrong as ones that seek to harm people.

Oh, and no I don't usually wear a poppy. My wife however crochets hundreds of them for her parents, every year, who then sell them on behalf of the RBL. My wife also made them a special dog collar last year too for their dog, so that their dog could "wear poppies" too. I don't wear a poppy, because I hate how people try to bully people into doing so, and will always be deliberately contrary when I feel that there are people been bullies like this. It has become far too political for sure, and is quickly becoming another symbol that the extreme right can steal and misuse, just look at how these days they're using remembrance imagery etc year round on social media, exhorting everybody to "share this, cus Facebook don't like it!" when it's patently nonsense, purely to get themselves more attention... White poppy attention seeking, red poppy attention seeking, there's little difference to my eyes, so I don't wear either.

I don't wear one either but detest those who would make any "point" political or otherwise from the intended meaning of the original thought behind the poppy.

Cheers. Tom

The way I see it the only reason to wear a white one is some kind of point, not sure what against the red, so I answered yes but am not really sure what the point in white is and obviously every one is entitled to wear whatever and thin whatever and it would be a sad situation if they couldn't.

........... but other colours may catch the eye - white poppies, or perhaps even purple.

Purple? In remembrance of Tinky Winky perhaps?

One of life's sobering moments is to walk through the WW1 Cemeteries in northern France and see the gravestones of the men that gave their lives for us. Row after row of them stretching out into the distance with almost every nationality in the world represented. In some Cemeteries there are walls that are covered with the names and ranks of soldiers who were blown to pieces with shells, bombs and mines and who's remains were never found.

For me, the real heart wrenching thing was to see the ages of the men that had died! Not just the very young, which is always a tragedy, but the middle-aged men who had volunteered and died; and without a doubt left many a widow and family to grieve for them.

"Lest we forget!" is a very apt phrase. Those men died for what we have today and we should respect their sacrifice as if it had happened yesterday!

Worth noting that the white poppy thing started in 1933...nothing new here....

Fwiw, freedom of expression of divergent views was part of what was fought for.

Martin
Who wears a red poppy

Red poppies have undoubtedly been hijacked by English Nationalists, but it shouldn't diminish the original sentiment.

That being said, I have no issues with a white poppy either. Both poppies carry an important message on war.

Back