The white poppy. [poll]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are white poppies attention seeking rubbish?

• Yes.

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • No.

Votes: 16 47.1%

• Total voters
The poll question was "Are white poppies attention seeking rubbish" not "should white poppies be banned" my view as expressed in the OP is still the same.

As I said my answers yes but not sure, no idea how being banned got into the conversation but no they shouldn't it would be total madness if they were and the start (not quite start) of a totalitarian state.

I used to wear a red poppy but now don't wear either. The red poppy has been hijacked and I don't want to be associated with what it is starting to represent. It's a shame as I'm a bit of an amateur WW1 historian and sympathise massively with what soldiers of the world wars went through.

I'm not really sure why they would be considered any more attention seeking than red poppies. The purpose of both is to generate attention for the cause. Being human, some people will undoubtably wear either because of how they think it makes them look, nothing new or specific to either one there.

Similarly to others, I donate to RBL but don't wear a poppy. If I did it would be a toss up which one. As far as I'm concerned they are both symbols of remembrance which both respect fallen British soldiers.

Personally I agree that the best way to respect the dead of WWI is to do our best to make "never again" a reality, but I respect that other people might feel there are more important aspects of the respect due.

EDIT: Purple poppies however, can **** off.

Last edited:
Are the purple poppies in remembrance of the animals (horses I presume) who were killed in war?

If so, I can't see a problem with them.

EDIT: Purple poppies however, can **** off.

I agree and have the same view of the white one the only people who are going to buy the white ones are those who want to stand out from the crowd i am sure we all know someone who would buy a white one just to be different, they can all feck off.

Are the purple poppies in remembrance of the animals (horses I presume) who were killed in war?

Yep - for fallen animals.
My dogs aren't that that bothered, but they'd probably go for the purple in support!
Myself, red - obvs!

I agree and have the same view of the white one the only people who are going to buy the white ones are those who want to stand out from the crowd i am sure we all know someone who would buy a white one just to be different, they can all feck off.

I can accept that some people might be like that. But I do really disagree that the only people who are going to buy them are people who want to stand out and be different. I don't see any reason to doubt that the vast majority of people wearing them are doing so to genuinely show respect and remembrance in a way that they find preferable on principle.

Yeah I was kind of joking, I don't object to them that strongly. I just don't understand the kind of people who look at the magnitude of human suffering and misery in the first world war and think ' but what about the animals?'. I suppose worn in conjunction with a red/white poppy, it wouldn't seem as odd as on their own.

I can accept that some people might be like that. But I do really disagree that the only people who are going to buy them are people who want to stand out and be different

Sorry i just dont get it.
Why would someone buy a white one when we have always bought red ones with the donated money going to the RBL, other than to be different, did anyone here know these were for sale before reading this thread.

People can wear whatever colour poppy they like i just think anything other than red and the money going to the RBL is wrong.

(Having read the part in bold below i had to be careful when i typed the above as what i really wanted to say would have probably got me banned)

What does the money from white poppies go towards? According to the Peace Pledge Union website: ‘Any money raised over and above the cost of producing, publicising and distributing the white poppies goes to fund our education work.’ This work includes creating resources for schools on the subject of conscientious objection and nonviolent resistance and maintaining and publicising records on the same topic.

The White Poppy stands for Remembrance for victims of all wars, not just those in which the British Armed Forces were involved, and not just the wars resigned to history; A commitment to peace and; A refusal to celebrate or glamorise war itself. The Royal British Legion is responsible for the distribution of poppies and they are made to commemorate the members of the Royal Armed Forces who died in war. However, the Peace Pledge Union who are responsible for the distribution of White Poppies explain that they differ from the Royal British Legion in that they recognise and commemorate the victims of all wars, such as the civilians killed in the bombings of Dresden, Hiroshima, Baghdad and Kabul.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/25/wher...n-do-with-their-proceeds-8074618/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

Last edited:
South Lakes Police‏ @SouthLakesPol 5 hours ago

The Ulverston team have been proudly displaying poppy stickers on their vehicles this morning. #LestWeForget

DqbpnVoW4AATFM0.jpg

People can wear whatever colour poppy they like i just think anything other than red and the money going to the RBL is wrong.

(Having read the part in bold below i had to be careful when i typed the above as what i really wanted to say would have probably got me banned)

What does the money from white poppies go towards? According to the Peace Pledge Union website: ‘Any money raised over and above the cost of producing, publicising and distributing the white poppies goes to fund our education work.’ This work includes creating resources for schools on the subject of conscientious objection and nonviolent resistance and maintaining and publicising records on the same topic.

The White Poppy stands for Remembrance for victims of all wars, not just those in which the British Armed Forces were involved, and not just the wars resigned to history; A commitment to peace and; A refusal to celebrate or glamorise war itself. The Royal British Legion is responsible for the distribution of poppies and they are made to commemorate the members of the Royal Armed Forces who died in war. However, the Peace Pledge Union who are responsible for the distribution of White Poppies explain that they differ from the Royal British Legion in that they recognise and commemorate the victims of all wars, such as the civilians killed in the bombings of Dresden, Hiroshima, Baghdad and Kabul.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/25/wher...n-do-with-their-proceeds-8074618/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

That's why I made my point about pacifism Chippy. The white poppy ISN'T just attention seeking, or a different colour option, it's the poppy worn by pacifists, and is there to promote and raise funds to promote pacifism. Pacifism is a lovely ideal on the surface, but deep down is as wrong as warmongering, promoting doing nothing (other than maybe some peaceful protesting....) even in the face of overwhelming evil. It's not about promoting peace, you can do that whilst wearing a red poppy and pledging to protect your family, it's about promoting inaction even in the face of great evil.

Basically they've switched a white poppy for the white feather.

HOWEVER, I don't agree that it's rubbish (attention seeking yes, just like the red poppy, but not rubbish) for the reasons I and others have already stated. It's hard to have a discussion about whether something is "attention seeking rubbish", without discussing people's right to it whether it is or not though I'd say.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why I made my point about pacifism Chippy. The white poppy ISN'T just attention seeking, or a different colour option, it's the poppy worn by pacifists, and is there to promote and raise funds to promote pacifism. Pacifism is a lovely ideal on the surface, but deep down is as wrong as warmongering, promoting doing nothing (other than maybe some peaceful protesting....) even in the face of overwhelming evil. It's not about promoting peace, you can do that whilst wearing a red poppy and pledging to protect your family, it's about promoting inaction even in the face of great evil.

Well said. :thumba:

Last edited:
I started selling the red ones a few days ago at Secret Cask, there have been some donations but no one has taken a poppy.

I wear a red poppy. I’m not into glorification of military exploits and I do feel uncomfortable sometimes that Remberance Day has morphed into that, but I think the Rememberance aspect of it is still important and noble, as of course is the fundraising. I fully understand all of the reasons given in this thread for not wearing one though.

In terms of the white ones, I had no idea they were a thing until this week. With the ascension of Jeremy Corbyn is it fair to say that pacifism and ‘no war for any reason ever’ is more in the political mainstream than it probably has been in living memory? Maybe that’s a factor, I don’t know.

Do you have a view on the question in the OP?

Not really. I do my "remembering" every time I look at what I have been gifted by the people who laid down their lives for me and my own descendants every time I see a sign for a World War Cemetery.

Apart from those in France, I've also visited War Cemeteries as far afield as Singapore and Indonesia; and they have all been kept in immaculate condition.

My wife and I stood in front of this grave in Caestre, France on June 6th this year in memory of a Great-Uncle that she never met but whose name she carries.

Caestre2.jpg

Back