this weather...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK maybe I am missing something! Why will hotter weather cause a bottle bomb. In fact I would have expected the reverse. As the pressure in good weather tends to be higher than in poor weather, at the moment it has dropped to 1011 pa but I have seen it down at 996 pa in bad weather.

I am having problems with too much pressure in the bottles, since all plastic 2 litre easy enough to release some pressure, I blame myself for bottling too early. Never had a bottle burst yet, it is more down to being able to open bottle and get beer rather than foam in the glass. I realise the colder the water the more oxygen it can hold I remember with the pond how if too warm it could not retain enough oxygen for the fish. But that is with a open pond, not with the liquid in a pressure container. To get the water depleted of oxygen one is looking at around 85ºC I would assume something similar for CO2?

If I have got it wrong then maybe I need to go into shed and release pressure on all beers brewed in Winter?

My ice packs/cubes in a trug of water thing has worked well over the last few days....after the initial problem the temp in the FV has generally been between 20-22 degrees so well rescued but I fear that 1st day will have created some odd flavours....then again, we could have a happy accident on our hands

FV is at 27.8c Mangrove Jacks Workhorse, don't fail me now.

I've been using M-J W since the start of "summer" and the brew I set going on Saturday is the first brew that perhaps needs it. 27C yesterday evening and 26C tonight. Hopefully much of the conversion was done in the first 2-3 days.

I'm not sure I believe that 29C ambient is fine.

I've been using M-J W since the start of "summer" and the brew I set going on Saturday is the first brew that perhaps needs it. 27C yesterday evening and 26C tonight. Hopefully much of the conversion was done in the first 2-3 days.

I'm not sure I believe that 29C ambient is fine.

I'm a convert Slid, in June I buy two packets of MGJ Workhorse and two packs of Mauribrew 514 in early June and re-use the trub from each pack two or three times over the summer. I put on a Wilko Golden Ale on 10/07/16 OG:1049, I tested it tonight and it's SG is 1007 and it tastes great.
These two really perform over the summer months.

Latest posts

Back