This will seem a strange topic but I think it's relevant here

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenstel

Reaction score
So, my garden has heavy soil, I'm improving it as much as I can with compost, manure etc but it's a slow process.

I also have a lot of slugs. Not a coincidence. In the summer, I can easily kill close to 100 in 30 minutes or so, and do that every night until I give up. I can go out a while after doing that and kill another 100.

It's well known that beer traps attract slugs and they drown. One thing I read a while ago is advice not to use beer traps because they attract slugs from a considerable distance, not just those already in your garden but attracting then into your garden from elsewhere thus making the situation worse.

As I plan to move into AG brewing, disposal of the grain has to be considered. I plan to put it into the compost bins, but I wonder, will it have the same attraction to slugs that beer does. I know its not beer, but it will be soaked in wort. If they stayed in the compost bin that's one thing, but attracting them into the garden from elsewhere where they decide to snack on my plants on the way to the compost is another thing.

Anyone have any experience or any observations?

I throw all my spent grain on the garden, especially the veg plot. I haven't noticed any slugs at all. I think it puts them off. If you leave it in a heap it develops a characteristic pong. If you rake it in or just rake it out its a lot more pleasant. It's good for the soil, too.

Thanks Clarence. Pongy I don't want. What is it that smells, is it the sugary wort? Good to know it puts slugs off! I need 12 tonnes of it quick!

Thanks Lee. I can imagine that. Practically anything will attract rats, they're quite fond of potato peelings, and spuds in general in the compost. Something to think about. We used to have problems with grey squirrels until I started using squirrel proof bird feeders. They tried for a while but gave up. No rats though.

Before I got squirrel proof, I put Vicks chest rub on the feeder poles. I watched a squirrel repeatedly throw itself at the pole and slide down again, until, eventually, it rubbed enough of the Vicks off the pole that it could climb up. Then it proceeded to destroy the feeder. I thought the smell of the Vicks would put it off, but it didn't. Mind you, I don't know what it thought when it washed itself! Going squirrel proof was easier. The birds didn't like them at first, but got used to them.

Don't want rats. Mrs K has an aversion to them. She likes squirrels though, even though I say that they're the same, squirrels have just got a better PR manager.

Last edited:
I was reading recently in Pete Browns book Miracle Brew, an interesting observation that it is no coincidence that most living things, be it fruit flies, humans or Elephants, are attracted to the aroma by-products of fermentation in foods. It's yeasts way to survive and spread. I guess slugs are the same and it's more likely they are attracted to beer rather than wort.

Thanks Sadfield. Interesting point. Slug pellets (which I don't use) are made out of wheat I think because it attracts slugs. I'm wondering if any other cereals used in beer also smell good to them.

Thanks Sadfield. Interesting point. Slug pellets (which I don't use) are made out of wheat I think because it attracts slugs. I'm wondering if any other cereals used in beer also smell good to them.
From googling, the active ingredient in slug pellets is Metaldehyde, which is made from treating acetaldehyde. Which is also an intermediate compound in the conversion of glucose to ethanol in fermenting beer.

If you are plagued by slugs ,take a look at nematodes ,very effective .
I first used nematodes about 30 years ago and they were brilliant.

I then used them in a new house about 15 years ago. The result was so-so. I used them again the following year and found they hardly worked. The problem is the soil. The nematodes can't move through heavy soil very well, so results can be patchy.

I was going to use them in this garden (moved here 6 years ago) but just as I was planning to buy them, I found a frog in the garden, then another. Then hedgehogs. The slug problem disappeared.

The frogs disappeared because of building work perhaps, the hedgehogs came regularly, ate the food I put out for them, and ignored the slugs! I'd see the slugs on the plate with the hedgehog food, and after eating the food, the hogs would walk off, ignoring the slugs. Not surprising. If someone gave me a choice of fillet steak or spam, I know what I'd choose!

This year, I only saw 1 hog on 1 night. The slug problem has been huge. Perhaps the hedgehogs were eating more slugs than I realised, because it's been worse than ever this year.

Next year I might have to try nematodes, but as the soil is so heavy, I'm not hopeful. Anyway, the question about the waste grain is because I definitely don't want to attract more slugs into the garden.

If you are plagued by slugs ,take a look at nematodes ,very effective .

They may be a little too effective for veg growers etc -

What are bad things about nematodes?

These dangerous nematodes feed on plant roots, which ultimately damages the plant and severely impacts plant growth. While feeding, nematodes create wounds on the roots, which can leave the plant's roots vulnerable to infection by other disease-causing organisms in the soil

Beer is effective if it's not pasteurised, it's the yeast that attracts slugs and snails. Problem with live beer it is only good for a couple of days as it attracts bacteria which takes over. Vegemite in warm water, or in your case marmite will attract slugs and snails to their demise. Lizards are good they will polish them off, get a pet Goanna they will take care of the slugs and the squirrels also any stray cats that decide to trespass in the garden.

There may be different nematodes. I've never heard of slug nematodes damaging plants. I dying think they're capable, they get into slugs through their breathing hole and eat them from the inside. I've also had to use nematodes this year for vine weevils. First time I've ever had them and they're all over. Used nematode for the lavae, watered into the soil and for the adults, a gel stuff on a board, the nematode attack the weevil when it comes in contact with the board. Hope it works, they're devastating.

Foxy, its the yeast? I don't want to attract slugs, quite the opposite. But I'll suggest to my neighbours they should start using vegemite traps. Hopefully, my slugs will go visit the neighbours. Hmm. Wish we had a few lizards. A few komodo dragons while do very nicely for the cats. Give them a taste of their own medicine, lying in wait for the birds as they do...

Foxy, its the yeast? I don't want to attract slugs, quite the opposite. But I'll suggest to my neighbours they should start using vegemite traps. Hopefully, my slugs will go visit the neighbours. Hmm. Wish we had a few lizards. A few komodo dragons while do very nicely for the cats. Give them a taste of their own medicine, lying in wait for the birds as they do...
This was the absolute best, even killed millipedes but now discontinued. Along with several other snail and slug baits.
Another thing is to get rid of all the broad-leaf plants where they hide during the day. Leave them no place to hide.
1701567391058.png

Last edited:
Do you know anyone with chickens? They love spent grain.

Just have to be careful when making smoked beer in case it affects the egg flavour. Would be lovely with bacon but not so much in a sponge cake... 🙂

Do you know anyone with chickens? They love spent grain.

Just have to be careful when making smoked beer in case it affects the egg flavour. Would be lovely with bacon but not so much in a sponge cake... 🙂
Ours don’t touch it, the wild ducks eat it if nothing else is in the offering.

Oh that's interesting. My chook owning friends say their feathery little dinosaurs love it.

Maybe yours are full of slugs... 😄

Horses love spent grain. Take it to your local stables and swap it for some manure for the garden

I’m gonna try the marmite trap

Latest posts

Back