This will seem a strange topic but I think it's relevant here

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you dry it straight away (while it's still hot) leave the oven door cracked and set the lowest setting on the fan oven it's about 5 hours.... But doesn't need any attention.

My neighbour has sheep's in his field and they go mad for the spent grain
Now every single time i go out of the gate, I get a dozen sheep going BAHHHHHHHH and sprinting over to the fence in anticipation of a tasty warm malty snack!

I'm not sure it's worth the effort with current energy prices

In isolation probably not. The value is in the handmade bread week enjoy everyday. Which doesn't cost any diesel and the heat escapes into the kitchen, so the heat pump load is lighter. Does that mean I am recycling the electricity that I generated .. Probably 🤣

Mine goes into the compost bin - haven't seen rats in there but it seems all creation converges on it, slugs, worms, woodlice, fungus. I think what helps avoid smell (never noticed) is you mix it up with the existing material, speeds up the process.

I produce more than we need as flour. I too dig some into the compost heeps.

It is said to be good for mushrooms too (cellulose)

Well, I've done my first AG brew. I left the grain to air dry until I was finished, and then wondered what I was gong to do with it as I hadn't decided.

I did eat a spoonful or so.... it wasn't unpleasant tasting, rather like one of those loaves with everything in it, 7 grain or something. I can imagine with a decent bread recipe, mixing some in would be quite good.

But as I don't have any kind of bread recipe, not the patience to make bread, and not having any sheep, goats, horses or rabbits it went in the compost bin. Tomorrow I'll have a look and see if anything is happening with it, I might dig it in a bit, it was getting cold and starting to rain when I put it out so I just put it on the top and covered it with cardboard.

Well, I've done my first AG brew. I left the grain to air dry until I was finished, and then wondered what I was gong to do with it as I hadn't decided.

I did eat a spoonful or so.... it wasn't unpleasant tasting, rather like one of those loaves with everything in it, 7 grain or something. I can imagine with a decent bread recipe, mixing some in would be quite good.

But as I don't have any kind of bread recipe, not the patience to make bread, and not having any sheep, goats, horses or rabbits it went in the compost bin. Tomorrow I'll have a look and see if anything is happening with it, I might dig it in a bit, it was getting cold and starting to rain when I put it out so I just put it on the top and covered it with cardboard.
It goes off very quickly, all that sugar is a bacteria mecca. That's why it gets pasteurised before making up the growing media. Then all you need are the spores and a controlled atmosphere.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/mushroom-spores/s?k=mushroom+spores
Very good in bricks too, Chinese used rice in their mortar for the Great Wall. Guaranteed for 2,000 years apparently.

So, my garden has heavy soil, I'm improving it as much as I can with compost, manure etc but it's a slow process.

I also have a lot of slugs. Not a coincidence. In the summer, I can easily kill close to 100 in 30 minutes or so, and do that every night until I give up. I can go out a while after doing that and kill another 100.

It's well known that beer traps attract slugs and they drown. One thing I read a while ago is advice not to use beer traps because they attract slugs from a considerable distance, not just those already in your garden but attracting then into your garden from elsewhere thus making the situation worse.

As I plan to move into AG brewing, disposal of the grain has to be considered. I plan to put it into the compost bins, but I wonder, will it have the same attraction to slugs that beer does. I know its not beer, but it will be soaked in wort. If they stayed in the compost bin that's one thing, but attracting them into the garden from elsewhere where they decide to snack on my plants on the way to the compost is another thing.

Anyone have any experience or any observations?
I think your balance with nature has gone a bit skew whiff if you go out a night aiming to kill 100 slugs in 30 minutes. That's my observation.

I think your balance with nature has gone a bit skew whiff if you go out a night aiming to kill 100 slugs in 30 minutes. That's my observation.
Well, as you don't know anything about me, my garden or my locality, or indeed anything other than the figures you quote, it's not an educated observation, just a comment.

However, to correct your comment, I don't go out aiming to kill any number of slugs, within any particular time period. What I said was that "I can", whether I do so or not is up to me. I don't have any drive, or compulsion to kill slugs or any other creature. What I said is what I meant, ie, they are there.

My garden is a rich environment. Unfortunately, my immediate neighbours don't care much for their gardens and some have paved them over. Others are nearly all lawn. The result is those gardens don't provide much in the way of food, but do provide plenty of hiding places for pests. Those pests need food so they come into my garden.

As I said, you don't know anything about my circumstances, so perhaps an enquiry into them rather than an accusatory "observation" might be more appropriate?

But anyway, no offence taken.

Ha,missed this...christ whatever next....slug extermination examinations?
My mate up the road has a tiny garden,grows nothing except poor grass. He had an extension put on his house which involved a small concrete slab patio being removed....the chap who dug it out removed buckets of slugs!

Back