Tidal energy.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The Isle of Wight Council is going to try tidal why have we hundreds of windmills *spoiling the view when we could have had them hidden from view.

*I dont find then unsightly but i know many people do especially the ones on land.

A long-delayed tidal power project has said it is in talks with investors and energy firms about future funding.
Perpetuus Tidal Energy Centre (PTEC) originally hoped to install turbines on the sea bed south of the Isle of Wight by 2017.
It previously said it was "forced into hibernation" by low tidal energy prices.
PTEC said it would bid for a government energy contract in 2024 and was seeking other financing.

The firm, which owes more than £1m to Isle of Wight Council, began work on a 30MW demonstration project in 2012.
It eventually hopes to produce 300MW of electricity, enough for "most of the Solent region", as well as hydrogen from sea water.
Previously, the company announced it was preparing to submit bids for government energy contracts in 2022 and 2023.
However, it was not named among the winners in either of the bidding rounds. It refused to confirm that it had entered.

BBC News

1694951220152.png

Last edited:
Can't help thinking this is another load of Jimmy Waffle.
The company involved "owes the IOW government more than £1M!!
I suspect though its ",board of directors " has still taken their salaries and dividend while the company was "in hibernation "....
When it all goes t1itsup they'll bankrupt the company,"pay back" what little is left and move on to the next project.

The company involved "owes the IOW government more than £1M!!
I suspect though its ",board of directors " has still taken their salaries and dividend while the company was "in hibernation "....

I agree the deal does look a bit dodgy but i mainly posted to discuss tidal energy as it says in the video tidal can produce more electricity using smaller turbines, tidal energy is predictable as the tide comes in and out every day whereas the wind doesn't blow every day so why have windfarms become a blot on the landscape when they could have been hidden.

They can't have much of a lifespan being submerged at sea. Metal won't last long,under 10 years maybe? Composites? But they'd have to fill them with concrete to weigh them down.

They can't have much of a lifespan being submerged at sea. Metal won't last long,under 10 years maybe? Composites? But they'd have to fill them with concrete to weigh them down.

25 year lifespan -

TURBINE
The turbine has multiple levels of redundancy within its system, allowing continued operation even if some faults occur. A comprehensive condition monitoring system allows the prediction of failure and planned maintenance as necessary. The turbine is designed for a 25-year life, with three services in that period, at 6¼ year intervals. Total mass of the unit is 150 tonne in air, placing it within the capacity of more readily available DP (dynamically positioned) construction vessels for installation and retrieval.

1694956399085.png

We got 20....WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED!
ha ha, if I drive from victoria road and turn right onto the bypass under the railway bridge the limit is 20, yet if I drive from waunarlydd or from the elba estate towards penclawdd the limit is 30. I think they've missed a sign somewhere. The same physical stretch of road can't be 2 different speeds. Or maybe they think those coming from Gorseinon / Llanelli direction are incapable of driving safely 🤔

I also note that there are higher speeds on some roads that are lit so looking out for lamposts and defaulting to 20 doesn't really work either. councils can apply for roads to be exempt but the only way to know is follow the signage. Of course if there is no signage assume 20 but how long do you have to drive before realizing there is no signage.

I've had some fun today trying to work out what's what because if you are doing 20 when it's actually 30 you are going to subject to road rage from those behind. (apart from very old drivers that do 5mph below the limit who may be doing 15 in a 30 zone.)

gotta love wales at least prescriptions are free.

swansea bay lagoon was supposed to be a thing. Shame it never materialised
They have been planning building a road from Barrow in Furness to Morecambe for years meaning they could catch the full tide and release it to generate electricity, as always it's down to cost, I doubt it will ever be built.

They have been planning building a road from Barrow in Furness to Morecambe for years meaning they could catch the full tide and release it to generate electricity, as always it's down to cost, I doubt it will ever be built.
They have put ideas for the same in Mostyn but it's estimated to cost £600m+ so realistically £1b after things go over (HS2).

Wind turbines need a lot of maintenance. Underwater ones will need just as much, if not more, then there's the breakdowns and accessibility to fix them. It's just not viable at the moment imo.

ha ha, if I drive from victoria road and turn right onto the bypass under the railway bridge the limit is 20, yet if I drive from waunarlydd or from the elba estate towards penclawdd the limit is 30. I think they've missed a sign somewhere. The same physical stretch of road can't be 2 different speeds. Or maybe they think those coming from Gorseinon / Llanelli direction are incapable of driving safely 🤔

I also note that there are higher speeds on some roads that are lit so looking out for lamposts and defaulting to 20 doesn't really work either. councils can apply for roads to be exempt but the only way to know is follow the signage. Of course if there is no signage assume 20 but how long do you have to drive before realizing there is no signage.

I've had some fun today trying to work out what's what because if you are doing 20 when it's actually 30 you are going to subject to road rage from those behind. (apart from very old drivers that do 5mph below the limit who may be doing 15 in a 30 zone.)

gotta love wales at least prescriptions are free.
My fist attempt at a driving test today!!! I was out yesterday in Swansea and the signage is patchy at best. It feels like today and the next couple of week for those taking their driving test its going to be a nightmare.
Oh well, should be better for my second attempt lol.

I think tidal energy is more difficult than people think. In Scientific American from 1920-1930 there was already talk about its possibilities. When was the first tidal generator taken into service?

When was the first tidal generator taken into service?

In 1966, Électricité de France opened the Rance Tidal Power Station, located on the estuary of the Rance River in Brittany. It was the world's first tidal power station.

Latest posts

Back