Tilt Hydrometers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronos

Reaction score
Does anyone have one of the new Tilt Hydrometers, although expensive I have heard rave reviews about them.

I have one. Some info here:
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/tilt-hydrometer-more-big-boys-toys.75880/

I have since done a second brew in a different FV without an internal chiller coil and it worked much better. I also set it up against my hydrometer at the start and it ended up spot on at the end of fermentation. It showed when the fermentation had finished so I didn't need to take any samples until then.
The only issue is the way it uploads data. It only connects when you open the app and are within bluetooth range. It then uploads loads of data point, one every fraction of a second so the graph ends up a bit jerky, especially when the fermentation is vigorous and readings do vary a bit.. Some sort of smoothing or time average would be better. You also have to remember to re-check the upload box each time you connect.

I have 2 and have used in 6 brews now.

Good points
1. Realtime readings for temp and gravity to your tablet/phone
2. Temperature is accurate and allows better FV temp control.

Bad Points
1. Gravity readings are badly affected once Krausen builds up onto the tilt, I feel even a little if you get some of the foam from aeration when first dropping in the tilt. It's worse if you dry hop druring fermentations, as the dry hops build up on the tilt and gravity readings are then way out.

Overall, I wouldn't purchase to get an expensive temperature gauge, as that is what it is, as the gravity readings cannot be trusted.

I think there is a fundamental design flaw in that the top of the tilt allows Krausen and hops to build up on it, and therefore weigh it down and give poor readings. They need to redesign so it floats just under the surface, and not slightly above it.

I've got one, and think it's great! As pointed out above, crud on the tilt can affect gravity readings, but I use it to look for a consistent reading for fermentation end, taking a final reading with a regular hydrometer.

It's really helped get my fermentation time down - this plus cold crashing means I can be drinking a beer within 3-4 weeks, following the brulosophy approach

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

check out the open source ispindel, you will need to buy the bits and stick them together (some simple soldering) its a lot cheaper(£30-40ish**) and with wifi has far superior communications, and has better tie in/support with projects such as brew-pi.
https://github.com/universam1/iSpindel

** my cost for suitable bottles or geocaching petlings involved a minimum £10 pnp cost hrumph!!

Agreed that the final gravity readings with the Tilt can be slightly compromised by barm collecting on the top of the instrument. But it still provides 'relative' observation of how the gravity is changing or stabilizing. I do find the instrument useful to my brewing.

I wonder if the manufacturer has tried placing a conic top cap on the instrument to reduce that barm collection??? The idea of having the unit float under the surface won't ever work since there is no way to sense a gravity change that way. For a tilting vessel to sense specific gravity, it would need to be near neutral buoyancy.

Latest posts

Back