Time to decide.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Double Bubble tonight im having the UBU and Mrs Snail is trying her Blakeney Red Perry.
So Mrs Snails Perry
Perry1.jpg
Perry.jpg

She likes this A LOT. It gives a mighty fizz as it's poured but the head dissapears instantly to leave a flat light golden creamy tasting Cider. Apparently there is a sweet cider initial hit followed by a mellow pear back taste. She says it is very easy to drink. So easy in fact she has drunk a full pint in no time at all.

So onto the UBU.
Ubu1.jpg
Ubu.jpg

Ok so the same old hiss and CO2 Gives rise to a faint aroma of hops with what to me appears to be a slight aroma of chocolate??. The Beer is perfectly carbonated giving a nice initial head which forms a laceing that clings to the glass right to the very end. This beer is hard for me to describe as it has so many things going on on so many levels. It has nothing that is over powering but has many seperate elements that just blend together so well. I like this a lot and would love to have a go at brewing a clone of this. Big thumbs up for this one.

On the Menu this evening is.

Bath Ales Gem 4.8%
Gem.jpg
Flat.jpg

WOW what can I say this is great. Im not sure if it's the glass or the Beer but there is no head retention at all but that is not a problem either way. The aroma is one of malty caramel with a hint of hops. The malt flavour comes through in the beer and so does a caramel hint. Very little in the way of hop taste and hardly any bitterness. I like this beer a lot. It's a quafable beer that I could happily drink severel pints of. Another clone recipe needed please. Mrs Snail said she didn't want any of this but when I told her it was nice she wanted a taste. I then had to wrestle the glass back off her.

Well this is it the conclusion of my homework.

St Peter's Old Style Porter 5.1%

Stp.jpg
Stp1.jpg

The pleasing Hiss that I have grown to love and the ghostly CO2 whisps give rise to a pleasent hop aroma mixed with a slight hint of chocolate. The beer has good carbonation giving a good brown tinged head that subsides into a light laceing that clings to the glass all the way down. A deep mahogany coloured beer that has a slight hint of Dandelion and burdock as a first taste that quickly goes into a nutty malty taste. A slight bitterness not too hoppy a nice beer. Easy drinking session beer this a proper thirst quenching gulper of a beer.

So now I know what I like. Honey beer's, Porters, Chocolate Stouts plus Gem and UBU clones all on the list of Beer's to brew.

Latest posts

Back