Timothy Taylor landlord

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right!
Do you know, when your knocking on a bit, and you know why you're going into a room and what you want to get, but as you walk through the door, you forget why you're there. Or you ask what's for dinner, 3 times, convinced you've not already asked.
Well there's another version, your trying to think what beer to make, so you look through your books for inspiration.
So, in your head you make a short list, then you narrow it down to two.
Then you notice one has got sugar in it, and you wonder if you can substitute the sugar for more grains, your not sure so you ask the forum.
You quite happily type out the question on your phone, post it, then within a couple of minutes people are responding to your query, brilliant.
But, then you notice they're all talking about TT Landlord, what a coincidence, that was the other beer on your short list!
However, you then notice all the keys on your phone must of temporarily mixed themselves up! Cos what you really typed was Everards Tiger.
That's what must've happened, I can't think of another explanation.
Anyway, has anyone ever made Everards Tiger and substituted the sugar?
Alas I haven’t tried this one, that being said out of curiosity I looked up the recipe and it’s only 205g sugar I’m not really sure if it would make a huge difference if you kept it or opted to drop it and replace with a little extra malt.

Not quite on topic, but as we're talking about Wheeler and different malts, many of his recipes call for Pipkin and/or Halcyon pale malt. I haven't seen these for ages. Does anyone know if they're still available.
Also on Wheeler: His book"Brew Your Own British Real Ale at Home" CAMRA, 1998, 2001 with Roger Protz is a great book even though he neglects yeast and water chemistry. The book "Brew Your Own British Real Ale" 3rd Edition 2014, reprinted 2018 is a disgrace.The recipes are dumbed down with no reference to the type of malt ans with black malt used indiscriminately for colouring. Shame on CAMRA for this work.

You are right about CAMRA I know he has very disillusioned with his treatment when working on the third book as well as the fourth book that was finish off by someone else after his death. He did maintain the recipes in the third book were the most sound and always stressed they were never intended to be exact copy's more an idea to make a beer in the style of.

Latest posts

Back