White sugar addition to mash?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
British Real Ale 3rd edition. Graham Wheeler
Page 180
Ruddles Best recipe
In with the grains is shown White sugar. (225 gm for 19 liters ).

Is this to be added with the grains at the mash stage? I've looked at previous pages and can't find any guidance.
I am planning a 10 liters stove top brew next week.
Thanks folks

very end of boil just to dissolve or add to FV as transferring but make sure it is dissolved or your SG will be out.
Many of the older English recipes from that book have sugar in them

Easier. Chuck it in the fermenter. It does not need boiling.
You can't really measure the OG of you chuck it in the fermenter. Just as easy to add it to the boil as to the fermenter, so may as well go in the boil

Just chuck it in the boil at the same time as the protofloc. It'll be dissolved before it hits the bottom. I often add a bit of sugar to my brews like this.

You can't really measure the OG of you chuck it in the fermenter. Just as easy to add it to the boil as to the fermenter, so may as well go in the boil
I have used white sugar to correct the OG by chucking it in the fermenter at the end.
There are online calculators that tell you how much to add based on volume, current gravity & desired gravity.

I have used white sugar to correct the OG by chucking it in the fermenter at the end.
There are online calculators that tell you how much to add based on volume, current gravity & desired gravity.
Did you dissolve it first and then stir gently before checking the SG again?

Did you dissolve it first and then stir gently before checking the SG again?
I usually just pour it in if it's just a few gravity points, the yeast will find it.

But if you need say more than 500g, it might be worth dissolving.
Also if the recipie requires a significant sugar addition, I will often trickle the sugar in while running the hot wort into the fermenting vessel. (Eg 1kg soft dark brown sugar into a strong Christmas beer)

Latest posts

Back