too eager or a disaster?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long would you usually leave in a secondary FV? I read this was good practise for two reasons; one it makes sure fermentation has stopped and that gravity lvls are stable. Also it clears most of the trub from the first fv

Most people leave the fermentation longer than the optimistic blurb on the instructions until the gravity remains the same for a few days, so stick with that.

Sent from my HT7 using Tapatalk

Ten days was yesterday passed. Still getting the odd bubble through the airlock every now and then. Is it best left until nothing is happening at all and then take a reading?

If you're patient it's probably not a bad idea, but once fermentation is over there is co2 suspended in the liquid which will dissipate slowly, so bubbles are not an indication of fermentation (just like lack of bubbles is not an indication of a lack of fermentation).

The two carb drops came from advice on another thread. I'll be honest I'm not keen at all on drops, but don't know enough yet on brewing as a whole to feel confident about using sugar to prime bottles

I started using sugar and think most peolpe do. A tea spoon is 5 gms. 1 teaspoon per bottle is easy and effective. You cant really go wrong.

If you're patient it's probably not a bad idea, but once fermentation is over there is co2 suspended in the liquid which will dissipate slowly, so bubbles are not an indication of fermentation (just like lack of bubbles is not an indication of a lack of fermentation).

Will test it tomorrow then maybe on Thursday again to see what kind of reading I get. Would two days be enough to determine whether or not its finished fermentation?

Should say that I have a Razorback IPA on the go just now and intend to keg this brew. It comes with 100g of priming sugar. Intend to rack this off for a week then into the keg with the priming sugar. I think the sugar is measured for 23L, however I reckon I will lose about 1-2L before I go to prime. Anyone any thoughts or is it a green light regardless of loss?

Ten days was yesterday passed. Still getting the odd bubble through the airlock every now and then. Is it best left until nothing is happening at all and then take a reading?

There's a few threads on here about time in the FV. Youl notice patience is key and opening and closing the FV is not necessary especially if there's still signs of active fermentation big or small. We've all been there, its a lesson that's all

Nothing to worry about after all:0)

WP_20161216_18_36_45_Pro.jpg

Nothing to worry about after all:0)

Looking good for such a short time carbonating. :thumb: :thumb:

Give it a few more weeks and those bubbles will tighten up to give a really thick foamy head that should last until the glass is empty ...

... if you make sure that the glass is clean and detergent free. :thumb: :thumb:

Its had 17 days at 22 degrees. Just need to let it chill now for a couple weeks. But was nice and fizzy and tasted great. Racked my Razorback IPA to the secondary fv and gotta say that tasted even better than the evil dog. A really refined hoppy IPA with brilliant flavour and aroma. Would really like to change out the hop pellets on this brew eventually for my own selection to try lean towards a more grapefruity pine note similar to Elvis Juice by Brewdog. Nut that's down the line a bit:0)

Its had 17 days at 22 degrees. Just need to let it chill now for a couple weeks. But was nice and fizzy and tasted great. Racked my Razorback IPA to the secondary fv and gotta say that tasted even better than the evil dog. A really refined hoppy IPA with brilliant flavour and aroma. Would really like to change out the hop pellets on this brew eventually for my own selection to try lean towards a more grapefruity pine note similar to Elvis Juice by Brewdog. Nut that's down the line a bit:0)

According to the Post you bottled the brew on the 13th and yesterday was the 17th so that's only FOUR days of carbonation ...

... which is about TEN days short of when I would even be putting it down somewhere cool and dark to condition never mind drinking it.

Am I missing something?

According to the first post, which I misread at first, he bottled on 30th Nov. Also I think there's the bottled batch from the first post, and then there's another batch which is in fv which gets discussed.

Sorry for any confusion. I have two brews happening, both at various stages.

The bottled beer is a evil dog IPA which I sampled after 7 days. The beer was flat with very little carbonation. So I posted here asking for advice which was kindly given and was told to leave the bottles longer than the 7 days outlined with the instruction leaflet. So when I initially started this thread the beer had already been bottled for seven days..

My second brew is a Festival Razorback IPA that I have currently racked to a secondary FV. This batch will be going into a keg given a few more days. I have been asking advice about this process also on this thread as the replies I have had so far have been excellent and very helpful.

Well the Evil Dog carbonation dilemma was nothing to worry about. The beer pours well has a good head and retains its fizz as I drink it so I'm delighted. Its not overly fizzy which I like too, so I have lucked out on that to be honest..

My second brew the Razorback IPA has been primed and kegged now for a week, so a little more time there before I can test the results but going by what I tasted when siphoning Im looking forward to trying this brew chilled and carbonated when the time comes..

Well the Evil Dog carbonation dilemma was nothing to worry about. The beer pours well has a good head and retains its fizz as I drink it so I'm delighted. Its not overly fizzy which I like too, so I have lucked out on that to be honest..

My second brew the Razorback IPA has been primed and kegged now for a week, so a little more time there before I can test the results but going by what I tasted when siphoning Im looking forward to trying this brew chilled and carbonated when the time comes..
If I were you I would run off a small sample from your keg now just to check that the PB is leakproof, apart from any taste samples. If it dribbles out you have a problem, but after a week it should have some pressure behind it. It's certainly no good waiting for three weeks to find all the CO2 has leaked out. :-( I usually check my PB after a day or two and by then you can tell if things are OK.

If it isn't holding pressure is the brew inside goosed at this point or can it be rescued by bottling?

If it's not producing any pressure I suggest that, before considering bottling the brew, you:

1. Check that you are not being impatient. If it is less than a week the yeast may very well just being a bit lazy.

2. Check the temperature. Personally, I use the same temperature that was recommended for the original fermentation. Lower than this and the carbonation may stall.

3. When you are satisfied that the keg itself is leaking, take the cap off, check that the sealing surface is smooth (sand it flat if it isn't), re-prime the brew with sugar, apply a light coating of Vaseline around the threads and the "O" ring seal and then re-fit the cap and tighten it down with something that gives you a bit of leverage. This is what I use ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001DZQ3HA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

... but only because I have one already.

Then you have to wait another week to see if it has started to carbonate.

After checking that 1. and 2. above are okay, if there still isn't any pressure, then the keg is screwed and bottling (or a new keg) is the only solution.

With regard to "will the brew be goosed" it is amazing:

a) How resilient beer is when it comes to accommodating our stupidity. (Earlier this year I had to fish a magnetic spinner out of a brew with a telescopic magnet; and it still came out perfect.) :thumb:

b) How letting your guard down for just one second can result in an "off" brew! (Many years ago I had two consecutive brews go "off" due to poor sanitisation.) :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back