Too much water in the fermenter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicowk

Reaction score
Hey all,

Quick newb question, I've recently started with kits (already very excited).

I've just set up a Coopers European Lager fermenting, when I was filling the vessel there was loads of foam, and I filled up to what appeared to be the 23L mark.

Now the foam has settled the water level is closer to 25L...!

What effect, if any, will this additional water have? I imagine it might slightly water down the flavour?

Thanks

If you're worried that your brew might come out with a low ABV because of the extra water you could mix 60-80g of honey in a little bit of boiling water, allow to cool to warm and add it to the FV. The extra fermentable sugar will bump up your ABV to about 5 - 5.5% or there abouts.

If you're worried that your brew might come out with a low ABV because of the extra water you could mix 60-80g of honey in a little bit of boiling water, allow to cool to warm and add it to the FV. The extra fermentable sugar will bump up your ABV to about 5 - 5.5% or there abouts.

I'm going to try this I think, if it gives it a bit more of punch than what would have been expected normally, then all the better..

Cheers for your replies guys, i'll update when it's done.

Why honey? Dunno, but that wouldn't be my choice.
My thinking would be that an extra 2l of wort ain't going to make all that much difference (not sure about your kit, but maybe you could expect something like 4.1% instead of 4.5% ABV). Obviously, the flavour will be diluted accordingly - but unless you had 2 glasses side-by-side, I doubt you'd really detect it.
Bung in more sugar & you'll restore the alcohol - but not the flavour.
For me, put honey in and, yes, the alcohol will go up. But the honey will also add its own flavour - not sure I'd want that in a lager.
Hey, whatever you do (or don't!) I'm sure it'll be a perfectly good drink! :thumb:

Why honey? Dunno, but that wouldn't be my choice.
My thinking would be that an extra 2l of wort ain't going to make all that much difference (not sure about your kit, but maybe you could expect something like 4.1% instead of 4.5% ABV). Obviously, the flavour will be diluted accordingly - but unless you had 2 glasses side-by-side, I doubt you'd really detect it.
Bung in more sugar & you'll restore the alcohol - but not the flavour.
For me, put honey in and, yes, the alcohol will go up. But the honey will also add its own flavour - not sure I'd want that in a lager.
Hey, whatever you do (or don't!) I'm sure it'll be a perfectly good drink! :thumb:

Hoppy, it's a quick fix, something that most people have on hand and if space in the FV starts to be an issue the honey and water doesn't take up too much room.

I've had the first bottle of this last night (I'm supposed to be leaving it 12 weeks... Its been 2), and it was really good. I obviously couldn't say what difference the extra water or honey made as I can't compare, but it was lovely!

LOL.

Wait until you start All Grain brewing

Yep, but I was very happy with the new kits after a 25 year brewing gap. They really do make pretty decent beer. AG makes better beer, but the time "cost" is high and if you have a family of children, as opposed to young adults, it is not always possible to make HB that big a priority.

Yep, but I was very happy with the new kits after a 25 year brewing gap. They really do make pretty decent beer. AG makes better beer, but the time "cost" is high and if you have a family of children, as opposed to young adults, it is not always possible to make HB that big a priority.

I don't find it that bad. I have a 2 year old and a 9 month old and tend to time my brews around days I know we won't be going anywhere, and I have a day off work on Tuesday to brew the AG kit I won a couple of weeks ago. I get the odd interruption and delay but I've learned to deal with them. I only brew once every 2-3 months though, but I probably still would if I didn't have kids.

Latest posts

Back