Top tips for Kit brewing process

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale

Reaction score
The basic brewing process for the kits I've done as specified in the instructions for most kits is a straightforward empty the can(s) into the sterilised FV, adding water, when its at the right temperature add the yeast, put the lid on with an airlock, wait until fermentation finished, bottle or keg it with some priming sugar, leave it to carbonate and drink.

What improvements or tweaks to this do you recommend and how does this improve the brew?

I'm thinking things like avoiding tap water, so no chlorine or using campden tablets to remove chlorine, improve temperature control, do you use second fermentation, cold crashing and that sort of thing.

Anything really to help the less experienced improve their brews.

2 + 2 + 2 is the safest bet, 2 weeks fermenting, 2 weeks carbonation, 2 weeks conditioning

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

you're on the right lines with dechlorinate and maintain regular temps.

Basic temp control made a big difference to me for winter brewing resulting in a much more consistent ferment: garden trug filled with water and a 50W fish tank heater.

Also dry hopping kits, such as Goldings for ale and Saaz for lagers.

The basic brewing process for the kits I've done as specified in the instructions for most kits is a straightforward empty the can(s) into the sterilised FV, adding water, when its at the right temperature add the yeast, put the lid on with an airlock, wait until fermentation finished, bottle or keg it with some priming sugar, leave it to carbonate and drink.

What improvements or tweaks to this do you recommend and how does this improve the brew?

I'm thinking things like avoiding tap water, so no chlorine or using campden tablets to remove chlorine, improve temperature control, do you use second fermentation, cold crashing and that sort of thing.

Anything really to help the less experienced improve their brews.

Try this although you may be past the point at which is it really useful to you
Basic beginners guide to brewing your own beer from a kit - The HomeBrew Forum

Kit brewing...
- IMO one cans all need a 'boost' of some sort, don't rely on 'kit and a kilo', plenty of ideas here for example
http://store.coopers.com.au/brewing-info/recipes.html
- water use for brewing is up to you, if tap water is good enough to drink without a second thought it's good enough to brew with, I use tap water, using Campden tablets made no difference as far as I could tell so I don't bother any more, also water treatment not needed for kits
- one cans (and toucans with no extra hops) will benefit hugely from a hop tea or a dry hop
- the more malt you add to your brew the better it will be so instead of dextrose think about more malt; and if its a 1.5kg can (Youngs or Wilko) then think about brewing short
- usual stuff about sanitising kit
- don't be paranoid about 'oxidation', just sensible about avoiding directly introducing air into your beer; you have better things in life which need your attention
-try racking off after the primary, it does reduce the yeast load, I do it, others don't, see what you think
- cold crashing does work, if you have the time, space and inclination it might be worth setting up a brew fridge which will help your brewing in other areas; I don't have one
- don't brew in the middle of summer when ambient temperatures can be upper 20s*C
- temperature control as others have said should help, I have a water bath which is used in winter
- 2+2+2plus but not all beers need conditioning for long periods especially lighter
beers; dry hopping effects do diminish with time too
- keep a record of what you have done, so that you can look back and learn from your successes and any failures
- try as many kits as you can there are plenty out there
- try things you see on this Forum and form your own opinion about whether they work for you

Great advice! Get learning...the forum,YouTube etc. Give yourself plenty of time. .lay all your stuff out and be certain of what you need to do...don't start tea time,kids pick up time ,wife shopping trip time etc. Take notes..write it down!! Above all....ENJOY....you are making BEER...LOVELY BEER! No better feeling than cracking that first beer after all the waiting...yes wait...be patient. ..and tasting it and if you've followed a few basic rules...a nice, crisp,tasty pint that you WILL be proud of! I am...every time!

Cheers

Clint

Only 2 basic improvements come to mind:
Most important, hops. (Although this clearly depends upon the style you're brewing). I reckon that kits will supply bitterness, but not hop flavour/aroma. If, like me, you're a hop fanatic then both hop tea (flavour) and dry hopping (aroma) will definitely be required.
Second is yeast. If you're after a specific style then I'd ditch the dried yeast that comes with the kit & get a liquid yeast instead. Or, if you're into British beers, then try a yeast slope from Brewlab - but a properly made starter is essential with these.
A third option could be to introduce grains into your beer - the easiest way here being ones that don't need mashing (being already caramelised). But go easy on the darker ones as a little can have a big impact on your brew.

Back