How can I increase "maltiness" but not OG ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The grain bill for my latest batch (Caledonian Deuchars) was 3kg MO (warminster floor malted), 300g medium crystal (Simpsons 70L) and 150g wheat malt.
I'm very happy with it, but I'd like a tiny bit more malt in the flavour.

I don't want to simply scale up the malts because the OG is just where I want it; so I'm thinking of replacing a bit of the base malt with something else.

I'm a bit uncertain on what's the best option. I've got the following on hand: EDIT: I've read that the Melanoidin may be quite suitable for Scottish ales
  1. Crystal (light and medium)
  2. Munich I
  3. Caramunich III
  4. Chocolate
  5. Flaked barley, torrified wheat and wheat malt
  6. Melanoidin (Weyermann)
Thoughts please?

Last edited:
Add some calcium chloride to your brewing water. It's supposed in enhance the maltiness.

I'd go with Munich. I've also had nice results with amber and biscuit (victory) malt in the past

As Agent has said a little biscuit will help too but it can me overpowering in too large amounts

Mash at a higher temp, like 70 - 72c and up the malt to 3.25kg to account for the slightly less fermentable wart.
Thanks Nick and @MrRook - in fact the person I'm brewing this for requested a really dry beer, so I mashed this one at 63ºc and I really like the refreshing character of it.
So it's a good suggestion but I don't really want to go that way :hat:

You’re going the right way with Munich and melanoidin. Use as much Munich as you like, be a bit more sparing with the melanoidin.

It can also make a difference on brand of grain too so worth experimenting. I find Weyermann Pilsner to have a far richer malt flavour than Bestmalz for example.

You’re going the right way with Munich and melanoidin. Use as much Munich as you like, be a bit more sparing with the melanoidin.

It can also make a difference on brand of grain too so worth experimenting. I find Weyermann Pilsner to have a far richer malt flavour than Bestmalz for example.
Great advice - thanks H. Noted.

Double your crystal addition and add the crystal at mash out, gives the flavour and colour without the fermentable sugar even though it isn't much. If you don't want the darker colour lighten the crystal.

The grain bill for my latest batch (Caledonian Deuchars) was 3kg MO (warminster floor malted), 300g medium crystal (Simpsons 70L) and 150g wheat malt.
I'm very happy with it, but I'd like a tiny bit more malt in the flavour.

I don't want to simply scale up the malts because the OG is just where I want it; so I'm thinking of replacing a bit of the base malt with something else.

I'm a bit uncertain on what's the best option. I've got the following on hand: EDIT: I've read that the Melanoidin may be quite suitable for Scottish ales
  1. Crystal (light and medium)
  2. Munich I
  3. Caramunich III
  4. Chocolate
  5. Flaked barley, torrified wheat and wheat malt
  6. Melanoidin (Weyermann)
Thoughts please?
That used to be my local brewery(quite literally down the street). It’s not a malt forward beer so any alterations would be out of character.

Latest posts

Back