Total homebrew virgin. - Turbo Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilkoca

Reaction score
Hi folks have just inherited a shed load of brewing kit from my Dad and have some very fond memories as a kid helping him brew beer and wine ect.

Im more of a cider person so thought id have ago at brewing some turbo cider.

Could anyone point me in the direction of a full how to do.

Ive had a brief look but the amount of info on this site is vast.

Cheers
Chris :thumb:

cheers

from what i gather you add 4 lts to a demijon with the yeast and nutrient shake leave for 48 hours then add the rest?

Incidentally whats GP yeast ?

Can i decant it into a pressurised barrell as opposed to bottling up.

thanks

The best thing about TC is that you can pretty much do what you want with it. I have this one in the primary at the moment - feel free to adapt it to your needs! :D
Batch size - 20 ltrs

16 ltrs apple juice
3 ltrs raspberry juice

Simmer 340g honey in around 1 ltr of apple juice for 5 mins
Add 15 ltrs of juice to the fermenter
Add 1 cup of black tea
Add the juice with honey
Add 2 teaspoons pectolase
At around 25C, pitch the yeast, cover and shake well to aerate
Fit airlock.

Add the remaining juice (2.5 ltrs) once the yeast head settles a little – day or two.

You can add or leave out pretty much anything except the apples and the yeast :D Mine has been in the primary for 10 days now, but that's because I've topped up twice with fresh applejuice and it is still fermenting

Have fun!

Thats brilliant Tony just what i was looking for cheers :cheers:

Im probably being a plank but what amount of yeast should i use and when you say at 25c i gather you wait until its at that temp and what does pitch mean.

sorry for the questions but its a crash course for me.

1 tsp of GP Yeast and 1 tsp of yeast nutrient is fine for a 1 gallon brew, maybe add 3 tsp of nutrient for a 5 gallon brew but still just 1 tsp of yeast (Yeast makes rabbits look celibate :twisted: )

I think that should read 25C or lower, high temperatures kill the poor little yeasts. Tony was adding hot apple juice with honey, if you just use juice then no need to wait on the temperature.

Pitching is the term used by brewers for chucking the yeast in, nothing to do with baseball. ;)

Samarith said:
Yeast makes rabbits look celibate

:rofl:

Yes sorry .... 25 or lower - pref somewhere between 18 and 20 would be good. When I did this I forgot to take into account that the apple juice was coming from a supermarket 'fridge. When I took the temp it was at 15 - I had to stand it in a sink of hot water to warm it up! :whistle:

I used Safale S-04 yeast ..

The last batch i made, i added a bit of sugar as og seemed low, but the main difference is i used Nottingham yeast, to try to lose that 'winey' nose.
Only poblem i had is it seems to have dropped nearly all the yeast so its not very fizzy on the secondary ferment, but it tastes the bomb. :drink:

ok 2 days in - put 4 litres in with yeast and nutrient - both still bubbling away like a good'un

is it time now to add the last litre ?

and id like to make it a bit stronger how can i do that

cheers folks :thumb:

wilkoca said:
ok 2 days in - put 4 litres in with yeast and nutrient - both still bubbling away like a good'un

is it time now to add the last litre ?

and id like to make it a bit stronger how can i do that

cheers folks :thumb:
The only reason for not adding all the apple juice at once is to try and prevent the yeast head out growing the container.
Once the "mad" ferment is done (1 - 3 days) you can add what ever you want.
You can increase the ABV (Alcohol by Volume) by 1% for every 3.25 oz of sugar you add to a gallon (20 gms/ltr).
You will need to sweeten with "Splenda" to taste, and mature for as long as you can wait (ideally 4 wks or more).

cheers

If i were to mix 500 grams of sugar in with the last litre of apple juice (total in DJ of 5l) - would that be ok ? or would that kill the yeast?

wilkoca said:
cheers

If i were to mix 500 grams of sugar in with the last litre of apple juice (total in DJ of 5l) - would that be ok ? or would that kill the yeast?
You can, but you will probably end up with an ABV around 10.8%, White wine level!

hmmm prob a bit too high and taste awful - ok cheers for that.

Next daft question - when do i add the camden tablets ? do i need to add finings? or pectolase?

Sorry but its my first time - thanks guys

wilkoca said:
hmmm prob a bit too high and taste awful - ok cheers for that.

Next daft question - when do i add the camden tablets ? do i need to add finings? or pectolase?

Sorry but its my first time - thanks guys
No, it won't taste awful, just treat it with respect!

When using Supermarket apple juice I've never found the need to use either "pectolase" or "finings".
Just be patient, it will drop clear.
I only use "campden tablets" as a preserative, when I'm bottling, at the rate of 1ct/4.5ltrs.
This will produce 50mg/ltr (ppm) of SO2.

smashing thanks

so at what phase to you add the campden?

do you wait for the cider to clear - before bottling? i was looking to decant into a keg ?

and final question - when do you add the suger for fizz

cheers :D :cheers:

wilkoca said:
smashing thanks

so at what phase to you add the campden?

do you wait for the cider to clear - before bottling? i was looking to decant into a keg ?

and final question - when do you add the suger for fizz

cheers :D :cheers:
If I'm bottling I add the Campden a couple of hours before to allow it to dissolve.
Wait for the cider to be reasonably clear, this ensures you still have a little yeast in suspension, but there will always be some yeast there anyway.
I only ever get true "fizz" by bottling and priming at the rate of 1/2 tsp sugar/ltr.
Priming the keg will produce more alcohol than fizz, but will assist in serving.

if you want fizzy dont add the ct as this kills the yeast

wait till its fully fermented out then you can either bottle it or put it in a keg with your sugar to carbonate it

Excellent folks thanks for the advice - time to make another batch.

thanks again :thumb: :cheers:

Latest posts

Back