Tribute style ale anybody done one ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't understand your dislike of Proper Job, and can only assume it has been mishandled on its trip across Brittany to get to you. It is a lovely drink.
I'd better try another one then in case my palate was jaded at the time. I've got the extra strength version, too, and I didn't like that either. It's something about the hops- I like willamet and cascade so I can only assume its the Chinook. Or maybe it's gone off in transport as you suggest. A shame as I always liked St Austell. Their yeast, by the way is quickly becoming a house favourite.
@Cheshire Cat West Country cider is second to none, but cornish beers I've always been wary of: Skinners of Truro made some nice beers, but always too sweet as if they were not finished properly, the boys at Rock, I can only remember Doom Bar, which I'd walk to the next pub rather than drink. St. Austell was always my favourite, but it's been 8 years since I've tasted Cirnush beer on cask so things may have changed.
Everybody should try their yeast just once it's amazing.

I'd better try another one then in case my palate was jaded at the time. I've got the extra strength version, too, and I didn't like that either. It's something about the hops- I like willamet and cascade so I can only assume its the Chinook. Or maybe it's gone off in transport as you suggest. A shame as I always liked St Austell. Their yeast, by the way is quickly becoming a house favourite.
@Cheshire Cat West Country cider is second to none, but cornish beers I've always been wary of: Skinners of Truro made some nice beers, but always too sweet as if they were not finished properly, the boys at Rock, I can only remember Doom Bar, which I'd walk to the next pub rather than drink. St. Austell was always my favourite, but it's been 8 years since I've tasted Cirnush beer on cask so things may have changed.
West country beers are wonderful here are my top ones.
Devon Dumpling
Exmoor Gold
Exmoor Beast
Jail Ale
Sea Fury
Tribute
Proper Job
Otter Ale
Sea Horse
with the exception of Yorkshire and Scotland no other region in my opinion gets close.

Where would you source the St Austell yeast from? Being Cornwall based, and a lover of their beers, I am very interested in this thread.

West country beers are wonderful here are my top ones.
Devon Dumpling
Exmoor Gold
Exmoor Beast
Jail Ale
Sea Fury
Tribute
Proper Job
Otter Ale
Sea Horse
with the exception of Yorkshire and Scotland no other region in my opinion gets close.
Otter and Exmoor are Devon, not Cornwall. I haven't tasted the others, but I'm looking forward to it.
And I've got nothing against Cornwall, either. Just, coincidentally, I wouldn't seek out their beers.
Add Smiles and Palmer's ans Bath Ales to that list.

I have some concerns about culturing from the bottle. At my recent visit to the brewery at St Austell, on the tour the guide stated that the yeast was removed during filtering and so yeast was added back to the bottle for conditioning. I asked if it was the same yeast added back but he didn't know. It did though make me wonder about the whole principle of culture from a bottle these days with modern filtering at the microbiological level.

Otter and Exmoor are Devon, not Cornwall. I haven't tasted the others, but I'm looking forward to it.
And I've got nothing against Cornwall, either. Just, coincidentally, I wouldn't seek out their beers.
Add Smiles and Palmer's ans Bath Ales to that list.

Bath ales are pretty good, owned by St Austell.

I have some concerns about culturing from the bottle. At my recent visit to the brewery at St Austell, on the tour the guide stated that the yeast was removed during filtering and so yeast was added back to the bottle for conditioning. I asked if it was the same yeast added back but he didn't know. It did though make me wonder about the whole principle of culture from a bottle these days with modern filtering at the microbiological level.
I've built a starter from the dregs of a bottle of Proper Job to brew a Proper Job clone and the resulting beer was very close to the original

Brew finished! Two points over target,as usual. This time I diverted the water from the immersion chiller to empty fvs. I collected 40+ litres! Some still went down the drain. With the water I was able to fill the watering can, water the pots outside,full brewday clean up,clean a fv for tomorrow and pipes needed. I only got it to 30c,its now sitting in the brewfridge to reach pitching temp.

Right just brewed the Tribute based on Clint's (my version was 21ltrs)recipe with a few alterations. I had to drop the addition times to 25 mins as the AA's were higher on the Williamette and Fuggles I had also replaced the 15min Fuggles with Celeia as I want the fruity taste and I believe thats where it comes from. The whirlpool was slightly Bigger @ 30g each of Celeia and Williamette with longer time of 35mins.
I will report back when it is ready to see what difference it may have made

Latest posts

Back