Tried a sour beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
I went to a newly opened pub not far from me with Mrs MQ, yesterday eve, The Spit and Sawdust http://www.spitandsawdust.pub/.
I counted six real ale taps and about 6 hand pumps. So plenty to keep me happy and pretty cheap too. I tried a couple of the beers and had a nice pint of Landlord. But I also tried a sour beer for the first time.
I cant see what people see in sour beers. It quite literally brought tears to my eyes

I cant see what people see in sour beers. It quite literally brought tears to my eyes

And that is why some people drink them!
I like the taste of vinegar, lemon and other very citrussy drinks that bring tears to my eyes and I am sure many others do. They are not for everyone and a bit like lagers I am sure there are good and bad sours.

For sure they aren't to everyone's taste, but there are sour beers and then there are sour beers. A gose takes a lot more getting used to than a kriek! Personally I find a good one, on a Summers day, to be more refreshing than a cool lager.

I went to a newly opened pub not far from me with Mrs MQ, yesterday eve, The Spit and Sawdust http://www.spitandsawdust.pub/.
I counted six real ale taps and about 6 hand pumps. So plenty to keep me happy and pretty cheap too. I tried a couple of the beers and had a nice pint of Landlord. But I also tried a sour beer for the first time.

I love a good sour. The boon oude gueze always makes my face go like this....

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=i...isch&q=images+sour+face&imgrc=OlwPAy6M4bv7aM:

That's a shame, do you know what the beer was? It's very possible what you had wasn't a great example, also some sours are definitely an aquired taste. Some gueuze are very sharp or dry but not all sour beers are like that. If you want to try something a little less polarising maybe try a Rodenbach Grand Cru, it's sour but not overly sharp, and truly beautiful. Or maybe a fruit lambic like a kriek, but a good one like 3 Fonteinen.

Don't be put off by one bad example, try a few more. Imagine someone's first taste of ale was greene king IPA and they then said they didn't understand why people like IPA.

That's a shame, do you know what the beer was? It's very possible what you had wasn't a great example, also some sours are definitely an aquired taste. Some gueuze are very sharp or dry but not all sour beers are like that. If you want to try something a little less polarising maybe try a Rodenbach Grand Cru, it's sour but not overly sharp, and truly beautiful. Or maybe a fruit lambic like a kriek, but a good one like 3 Fonteinen.

Don't be put off by one bad example, try a few more. Imagine someone's first taste of ale was greene king IPA and they then said they didn't understand why people like IPA.

I can't remember the name as there were so many beers on offer it may have been a gueueze as that rings a bell. I think your right though, my first taste of a sour was more than likely a bad example. It was something akin to drinking pure lemon juice. A similar sharpness.
I've also got quite sweet tooth, so trying something as sour was probably the worst example of the style to try for me. I'll keep my eye out for a kriek as that sounds a bit more to my taste

There was loads of sours on offer at Leeds ibf a few weeks back. I had never tried before either. The Mrs loved them. I tried a few she sampled and as said there was a big difference. Some I thought bad, others I didn't mind
A bit like wheat beer, I'm not good with that. But she likes those. The only weiss I've liked is one in Prague at u tri rutzi. Which I thought excellent.

There was loads of sours on offer at Leeds ibf a few weeks back. I had never tried before either. The Mrs loved them. I tried a few she sampled and as said there was a big difference. Some I thought bad, others I didn't mind
A bit like wheat beer, I'm not good with that. But she likes those. The only weiss I've liked is one in Prague at u tri rutzi. Which I thought excellent.

Ah, U Tri Ruzi was a great little brew pub. I was a little underwhelmed by most of the beers in Prague however all the ones I had there were great especially the DIPA.

Ah, U Tri Ruzi was a great little brew pub. I was a little underwhelmed by most of the beers in Prague however all the ones I had there were great especially the DIPA.

Yes visited many times there from when they very first opened. Their brewer Robert creates some fantastic beers. The foods good too.

Glad it's not just me cos I don't get these sour beers at all, but they seem to be getting really popular.
I've had a few Saisons and I can see they might be refreshing in hot weather but they're not really to my taste and I tried a gooseberry Gose which was interesting but a bit sour for me and again not really what I'm looking for in a beer.
But recently I bought a bottle of Wild Beer Co's 'Modus Operandi' described as Old Ale oak aged for 90 days with wild yeast. Well, perhaps I'm a bit of a heathen but it just tasted like vinegar to me. I winced my way through about a quarter of it mainly because I'd paid �£4 for the bottle but I'm afraid I couldn't drink any more. Don't think I'll be trying Bretanomics in my brewing any time soon :lol:

Love them. Although it's definitely a style where you need to find that 'gateway' beer, and with all styles there are good and bad examples. Inevitably, some people just won't get on with them at all.

What does interest me is whether enjoyment of them is swayed by past experience of poor, or badly served, traditional beer styles, as some sour beer flavour characteristics would be considered 'off flavours' in other styles, but are flavours that would be acceptable elsewhere. For example, Duchesse De Bourgogne, a Flanders Red Ale has a big Acetic Acid kick to it, but most people wouldn't bat an eyelid at a Balsamic dressing. I wonder if part of the rise in popularity of sours in the UK is due to younger drinkers who don't have the historical preconception that a tart beer should be returned to the bar.

I've tons of fruit kambics (kreiks etc). But tried a Berliner Weisse at the weekend - delicious! It was Tschuss by Siren Craft Brew.

Also tried the Oude Geuze Boon which was also wonderful. Now going to have to try making one.

I've tons of fruit kambics (kreiks etc). But tried a Berliner Weisse at the weekend - delicious! It was Tschuss by Siren Craft Brew.

Also tried the Oude Geuze Boon which was also wonderful. Now going to have to try making one.

Their other Berliner Weisse, Calypso, is stunning. They use different aroma hops for each batch, but all three of the ones I tried were very nice.

I wasn't too impressed by the Tschuss but I agree the Calypso was great! I do enjoy a weisse and they are very easy to make compared to lambic.

Ive been buying a few recently and love um as dose the misses which means I have to share.
If you want a gateway one I had a frambruzzi that was just intense raspberry with a fizzy sour(think haribo supper sour)
No funk just sweet sour.

I bought the American sour beers book recently so 2017 should be a sour year!!

Ive been buying a few recently and love um as dose the misses which means I have to share.
If you want a gateway one I had a frambruzzi that was just intense raspberry with a fizzy sour(think haribo supper sour)
No funk just sweet sour.

I bought the American sour beers book recently so 2017 should be a sour year!!

It's oft said that patience is the hardest brewing skill to master. You have no idea until you start brewing sours :shock: Good luck!

I'm a big fan of two beers by Buxton. A gooseberry sour IPA (trolltunga) and a dry hopped Berliner weisse (skyline). Both worth a try if you happen to come across them.

I had a Buxton dry hopped Berliner Weisse skyline, very nice, 330ml wasn't enough, it was the first time I had tried a sour beer, well impressed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back