Tulip Wine (includes pics)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheshireCBR

Regular.
Reaction score
not posted in a bit, in fact not since the spring thing :(

so here is one of my latest brews, went to a party at my mums house and as she was going away for a few weeks she got the kids to pick all the flowers in the garden so she didnt come back to a garden full of dead ones, a lot of which were tulips, now me being me there had to be an alcohol related activity that could be done with what no one else wanted :lol: so a quick google serch later and I came up with a recipe for tulip wine,

2-3 qts tulip petals
11.5 oz can of welch's white grape juce
6 3/4 pints of water
2 lbs granulated sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1/8 tsp powdered grape tanning
1 tsp yeast nutrient
yeast

so I altered it a little by adding 250 ml of white grape concentrate rather than the welch's due to getting the bits

so first off the petals were washed, then I pored boiling water over them with a tea spoon of protectolas and left them to steep for 4 days (only ment to do it for three but lost track of time on day three)

so then I ended up with this

so this then went back into a large pan and was brought to the boil for 20 min then the petals removed leaving me with this, then I added 1kg of sugar to this and stirred to devolve

so while it was boiling I mixed the grape concentrate with the rest of the ingredients into my 1 gallon demijohn

waited for the petal juice to cool, then added that (sorry forgot to take the next pics)

then once it had cooled to just under 30 degrees added the yeast and have set it aside and we will see what its like when its finished :D

Interesting one mate, I quite fancy doing one of these myself if I can get hold of some tulips. Why did you boil after letting it steep?

The recipe did say to boil first and add the sugar but I didnt have the time as I had my daughter so I had to swop it round a bit, but I thorght raising the temp would make it a bit easier to desolve the sugar a bit.

I like the idea of a rose wine, only problem I have is I dont know anyone with enough roses for me to pick all the petals :(

CheshireCBR said:
I like the idea of a rose wine, only problem I have is I dont know anyone with enough roses for me to pick all the petals :(

This recipe uses 2/5 the usual amount of rose petals, by adding them after the initial fermentation has died down. Normally you'd need about 3.5L of fresh rose-petals per gallon, but by adding them later you can cut that down to about 1.5L/gallon.

Has anyone ever tried using Rose water? They sell it in asian supermarkets and bigger supermarkets in areas with a high population of muslims ( I think they use it for religious purposes). I don't know how 'rosey' it is.

Back