turbo cider questions.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andyhull said:
Right, that was my dilema, the sweetening side of it to carbing it!
I think i'll go the same route as you with the soda stream, glad i didn't bin it now.
I may also bottle a couple with 1tsp of sugar and see what they taste like!

Thanks

Andy

To be honest I wish I had done it ages ago. It's saving me so much hassle it's unreal. The barrel is fantastic too, a little sparklet to get a CO2 layer on top of the cider, and after that I just open the lid a little to pour out.

Im getting a brown barrel tomorrow from someone local with the sparklet op on it for a tenner.
Just the ticket :D

Sorted :D

2013-02-19%2019.57.08.jpg

5120fc13c17b1.jpg

Andy, re. bottling with 1 teaspoon of sugar.......... if you plan on drinking 2/4 weeks after bottling then 1 teaspoon is fine. If, however, you plan on leaving for longer then the extra sugar will simply over carbonate your bottles, leaving you having to open them under a tea towel! :whistle: (been there done that :nono: )

bigboots said:
Andy, re. bottling with 1 teaspoon of sugar.......... if you plan on drinking 2/4 weeks after bottling then 1 teaspoon is fine. If, however, you plan on leaving for longer then the extra sugar will simply over carbonate your bottles, leaving you having to open them under a tea towel! :whistle: (been there done that :nono: )

With cider? 1tsp is fine regardless of time IMO. I always prime with 200g per 40 bottles. Cider has next to no body to foam up with, much like fizzy juice. I've got bottles sitting that are months old and not one of them does anything than give a light "pschht" before coming to life in the glass.

Yeh, X amount of sugar produces Y amount of gas, however long you leave it.
I find a level tsp, or very slightly less, per 500ml/pint is pretty much right

Well,thunderbirds are go!Made up 12litres tonight chucked two cups of strong black tea in it and a pack of youngs champers yeast.How long before she starts throwing shapes fellas?just checked temp and its about 19/20.

In the gallon volumes I do, I see the yeast spread through the brew over the first, say, 3 hours, then it starts to form a slight crust at the top, and proper bubbling begins to get going after say 6 hours. But in a larger volume it could well be a bit slower.

Been in the fermenter about 24 hours now,heres what im seeing.I had froth on top which had now gone,and the yeast is settling at the bottom of the carboy.its also cloudy as hell but nothing is rising up from the bottom.is this the norm,or is it svrewed?Airlock is showing co2 bieng made just not enogh to make it bubble.I have loads of headspace.So my question is this,Is it doing as it should?

It's fairly typical. Yeast slowly populates the whole brew, making it opaque, then forms a bit of a crust, then as CO2 starts being produced that crust can get broken up and partly or wholly re-absorbed into the brew as the CO2 action effectively keeps stirring it. A slightly different crust - foamier - may (or may not) form, next.
If you have a lot of headspace, the airlock may never do much.

Leave it alone for at least 10 days, then look to see if it's cleared. It'll probably take 2 weeks though, maybe as much as 3.

Been about 5days now,everything seems to be ok,cloudy,airlock showing co2 bieng produced.One question:-The foamy crust keeps forming then dissapearing many times a day.Is this the norm.How long do you reckon 12 litres will be before I can bottl :hmm: e?Sorry that was two questions.

Yeh, it's fairly normal for the crust to come and go - the CO2 really does keep the whole thing moving all the time.

Fastest TC I've done took 10 days. Most take longer, but none have gone past day 21. Working with clear demijohns I can just see when it clears and then I bottle, with a big bucket you might need to take a sample - you could put a hydrometer in it or just see if it's clear

Back