Turbo Cider... what's it really like... honestly!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks GA - I wasn't thinking properly, but yes, batch priming, the only thing done in a batch is the addition of sugar, and then bottled into any sized bottle you want, and it all has the same percentage of sugar, so all will carbonate to the same degree (hopefully).

Hi all,

I know its an old thread but I have used the same recipe as calumscott, except for the pectolase. Its been in primary for 4 weeks now and was wondering if I would still be able to add the pectolase at this stage, before I rack to secondary?

Regards, Chris

p.s. gonna leave in secondary for a few month. Room temp or in shed?

Yes you can but will need to be 2tsp per gallon if post fermentation.

If you are going for MLF then it can be done at room temp or lower (just takes longer). I currently have some in my spare room that has just started MLF and don't plan in movining it !

Ok, thanks.

Just another quickie, If I am to transfer to secondary, to condition, am I running the risk if "losing" all the C02 layer on the top, keeping the "nasties" out.

My opinion is it depends on the apple juice. I've used a few - some come out really nice and others can be a bit tasteless. Off the top of my head:
-Lidl 'Solevita' cloudy apple juice is really good and makes a cloudy cider that never clears.
-Lidl plain old apple from concentrate was very acidic.
-Sainsburys 'basics' apple from concentrate was acidic but great for topping up a white wine.
-Princes juice from concentrate was a bit tasteless; almost no apple taste at all.
-Sunpride I thought was quite nice; best of the clear juices so far.

Jonny69 said:
My opinion is it depends on the apple juice. I've used a few - some come out really nice and others can be a bit tasteless. Off the top of my head:
-Lidl 'Solevita' cloudy apple juice is really good and makes a cloudy cider that never clears.
-Lidl plain old apple from concentrate was very acidic.
-Sainsburys 'basics' apple from concentrate was acidic but great for topping up a white wine.
-Princes juice from concentrate was a bit tasteless; almost no apple taste at all.
-Sunpride I thought was quite nice; best of the clear juices so far.

Oh the joy of home brewing...
I've done a few with Prince's now and they seem appley enough
Haven't tried the Solevita cloudy but have used the Solevita clear, don't recall much about that now. The Apfelnektar always worked OK.
When I'm not using Prince's coz it's on BOGOF or Suma I tend to use Morrison's cheapo, seems fine.
A lot depends on all the other factors, like ferment temperatures, yeast choice, how much age before you taste it.
We generally have a bottle of any brew when it's had minimal conditioning, just to see, and the difference a month later and then 3 months later can be astonishing

adrianmole72 said:
graysalchemy said:
In what way? how long have you left it?

About 2 or 3 months now... I don't think I put enough sugar in to carbonate, and it just tastes like apple juice - didn't add malic (sp?) acid, so that may be the issue :wha:

Are there is you problem TC is insipid without giving it something else. Either Malic acid and the MLF if you want a scrumpy cider or try Oldblokes recipes of adding some other juice as well.

Latest posts

Back