Turbo cider?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moley said:
Wraeccan said:
Nice chap in the shop is an idiot, turbo yeast isn't for making beer, wine or cider, it's for making a lot of rather harsh alcohol in a short space of time, which is then charcoal filtered and flavoured with spirit essences. :nono:

Thanks for the tip. Due to a large amount of impatience, that batch is now finished. It didn't clear very well (though I accept that I didn't really give it a chance to!) and tasted OK. Was about 5.5%

I've now started another biggish batch; 10 gallons. This time though I've used Young's super wine yeast. I've made the first batch of 5 gallons at OG: 1052 and the second at OG:1060 (as this batch will be watered down with fruit syrups at the end) It's taken an extra couple of days to start bubbling, but is now going nicely. I'm hoping to be drinking it in about 6-8 weeks (assuming I can keep my hands of it!)

Thanks for the help.

My batch of TC has been racked and vinclear added 5 days ago. It went instantly very cloudy but has now gradually settled and is reasonably clear but strongly coloured and has been that way for 3 days, but there are floating bits at the top which are showing no sign of settling. Is it a matter of just waiting?

Hi I only joined yesterday I have only worked with kits with lots of instructions. I like the idea of making a TC, I am not worried about it being the cheapest just would like it to be nice. I want only a couple of Demijohns worth. Could any of you wonderful folk point me at a link for a full recipie for this. Thanks. :drunk:

I would honestly just google "turbo cider recipes".
The top hits are from various forums with feedback on results etc.
I have tried a basic TC and it is OK at best. I'm seeing if it improves with age as I left it to ferment out.
What I have found though that whilst it may not be OK as a supping drink it is better as an alternative to wine with food.
If you have ever tried ebbelwoi mine was similar.
I have an apple/raspberry one bottled now which I'm hoping is better.

all i did was i bought 3 carrtens of apple juice all 1.5 liters put that in a dj mashed 3 tea bags in warm water for about 10 mins and let it cool then added it to the dj with the aj then added my yeast and then put the air lock in and just waited 2 weeks

Back