Turbo Perry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like it could be right! As long as the readings were correct.

Well, you know its not going to be anything over 15%ABV in reality really, perhaps 16% at a push.

Probably no stronger than a very strong red wine :twisted:

well someone has suggested that as the last 20 litre batch of TC started at 1064 and this 10 litre batch started at 1084 as i have doubled the volume i should use a OG of 1074.

Ok so i have had a few lunchtime pints and it makes perfect sense, so that is it. :party:

When you use apples to make cider (heaven forbid) you crush and press them.
This results in an awful lot of "apple puree", but with a bit of "pectolase" the result comes out great.
Another example of an anti oxidant is sulphur dioxide (sodium metabisulphite) commonly used before fermentation to stop discolouration of the juice.
It is also a preservative.

So carry on with pear puree!

I'm just drinking my attempt at this now, I used 5 litres of t**co pear juice and managed to get 2 litres of perry out of it and a whole load of c**p in the demijohn. It also smells really bad of rotten egg, is that normal?

I made 1 gal using 3L of apple juice and 1.5L of Morrisons Pear Crush (pear puree 40%, water to volume.) It made a very nice mix-not as 'heavy' as pure apple. It did produce a lot of muck on top though.

tubby_shaw said:
I have given up on trying to make turbo perry :(
The main problem is that any half way decent pear "Juice" contains pear puree which totally cocks up your hydrometer readings :evil:
After having my little rant tho please let us know how it turns out :cheers:

If the carton tells you how much sugar it has in it, you could work it out from that

Hello all, I thought I would bump this post rather than start a new one.

Just wondering what the general consensus was on the whole concept of turbo perry? I would love to brew some of this up as I can't really be doing with the expense, effort and impracticality of freezing and juicing pears myself (I only have a small freezer).

There seems to be a whole variety of different views, and it seems the main problem with the 'nectar' is the pulp that comes in the carton; would removing this pulp by filtering the juice prior to adding to the FV help? Or would this have a detrimental effect on the flavour of it?

I may give this a go with a demijohn when I get my hands on one, but currently I only have a 5 gallon FV at my disposal, so I need to brew at least 2 or 3 gallons to ensure that my hydrometer will work without touching the bottom, and I don't really fancy spending money on a large batch if a fair chunk of it will be wasted.

I suspect if you strain out the pulp at the start you lose a lot of fermentable sugars and a fair bit of taste.
I've posted somewhere on how I got on with Lidl pear nectar, got 6 bottles out of the gallon in the end IIRC - ErIndoors likes it but it has an odd bitterness to it, to my taste. I strained towards the end.
If I did it again, with that juice, I'd do something like CJJB's version of elderberry wine - ferment on the pulp in a bucket for 2 or 3 days, then strain into a demi through something that'll catch the pulp but let the yeast through. Top up the demi (probably add a bit of sugar as well) and finish as per.
But I'm not going to try it again, with the juice I used then. It was a nightmare. ...though the method I just described is tempting, actually.

Aye I read that thread and that's what made me have second thoughts, I thought maybe strain half the juice with coffee filters or something (thus leaving half the sediment and hopefully halving the waste) and taking a hydrometer reading to see what sugar was left and going from there? Only problem is it could taste a bit weak. I may have to get a demijohn sooner rather than later and at least give it a go.

Latest posts

Back