turbocider secondary fermentation question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helluvatractor

Reaction score
hi all, whilst waiting for wine and ale to mature i have been experimenting with carton apple cider or turbocider.

its finshed fermenting, down to 0.995, i have racked, added finings and left for for a couple days to clear, then i transfereed to pet bottles, added half a tspn sugar and left in airing cupboard to carbonate.

but its been 5 days in bottles and there is no sign of secondary fermentation, (unlike an ale i bottled the same day, where the pet bottle is rock hard), the cider bottles are pretty much the same as when the cider went in), no sediment at bottom.

i'm a bit confused as to why this may be, as i was under the impression that fining doesnt kill the yeast, and that even , clear, racked cider still contains loads of yeast within it.

Remotely possible you left it just long enough that the yeast starved to death. Pretty remote though.
Maybe it is the finings, slowing it if not stopping it. I never use them for TC, it never needs it (I don't use cloudy juice)
Mind you my TC gets 1tsp per 500ml, you seem to have used rather less.

yeah, maybe i fined it too much. anyway, never mind, it still tastes fine, just flat and sweeter, i got another one finished its primary ferment, will leave the finings and add a tspn sugar this time. ;)

Actually my most recent TC hasn't carbonated well (at least the 1 bottle I tried hasn't, it's not really ready for another 2 weeks). Not sure why, did all the same things I always do. Tastes good though, and just enough fizz for a good sensation on the tongue

Latest posts

Back