Two more new kits from Mangrove Jacks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhostShip

Reaction score
Spiced Belgian Dubbel
Rich and complex with a sweet malty aroma combined with prominent fruity esters and spicy phenolic notes of cinnamon and clove. Belgian Dubbel is well-balanced and moderately dry on the palate with a subtle sweetness. Pours dark brown with an off-white head.

6.3% requires 1kg Sugar or Beer Enhancer.

Orange and Cinnamon Wit
A refreshing festive twist on the classic Belgian Wit, with spicy wheat notes and fruity esters complemented by zesty orange and sweet, warming cinnamon flavours on the palate. Pours hazy gold with a light white head.

4.9% requires 1.2kg Malt Extract/Beer Enhancer 2 or 1kg Sugar/Beer Enhancer.

Last edited:
Ordered the Wit for an Xmas, wondering when the best time to brew will be as haven't brewed a Wit before.
Does the taste fade like a hoppy beer (which I mostly brew), or do they improve with time?

Ordered the Wit for an Xmas, wondering when the best time to brew will be as haven't brewed a Wit before.
Does the taste fade like a hoppy beer (which I mostly brew), or do they improve with time?
Generally speaking, Wheat Beers are ready to drink quite early, at as young as 4 weeks or so.

I bought the Spiced Dubbel, just need to get my a**e in gear to actually brew it in time for Christmas.

Hopefully I'll get it on some time this week. Bought 500g of dark Candi sugar to use as the extra fermentable as the kit says not to use malt extract.

Got the Wit started today. Pitched at 21c and it started bubbling within 30 minutes - seems really fast, certainly in my short experience (this is my 13th kit).
Will let you know how it goes if anyone is interested.
Assuming the yeast in the kit is M21, be aware that it ferments like a rocket for a couple of days, then seems to stall at 1.020 for a couple of weeks, then restarts.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/first-witbier.98378/page-2https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/mangrove-jacks-m21-temperature.686061/
I had to let mine ferment for over a month before it actually finished and could be bottled.

Last edited:
Yep, gone off like a rocket - had to fit a blow off tube this evening as it was creeping out of the airlock.

Delicious smell of cinnamon in the cupboard as a result!

I'll keep an eye on it, good to know it restarts and that it'll only need patience rather than drastic action if it stalls, thanks.

Assuming the yeast in the kit is M21, be aware that it ferments like a rocket for a couple of days, then seems to stall at 1.020 for a couple of weeks, then restarts.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/first-witbier.98378/page-2https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/mangrove-jacks-m21-temperature.686061/
I had to let mine ferment for over a month before it actually finished and could be bottled.
I bottle high with less / no priming solution and that does the trick as well. wink...

Got the Wit started today. Pitched at 21c and it started bubbling within 30 minutes - seems really fast, certainly in my short experience (this is my 13th kit).
Will let you know how it goes if anyone is interested.

Sampling the Wit now having started brew in October. It makes a great tasting beer. Both the Orange & Cinnamon flavours are there, great of you add a slice of orange on the side of the glass Del Boy style.

My MJ Orange and Cinnamon had a starting gravity of 1042, started very fast, and has stuck at 1014.
MJ say it should go to 1006/1008 so I gave it a stir but nothing has happened.
From your experience it looks like I need to forget about it for a while.

Sampling the Wit now having started brew in October. It makes a great tasting beer. Both the Orange & Cinnamon flavours are there, great of you add a slice of orange on the side of the glass Del Boy style.

I’d like to try this one. What did you use for the “extra fermentables”

Thread bump has prompted me to say that I've been drinking the spiced dubbel over the Xmas break. Really nice, hint of spiciness but not overpowering. Still got quite a bit left as I've been drinking it from a 250ml Leffe glass due to it being at the stronger end of homebrew.

Back