Ulez expanded to include whole of outer London

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drove to work through the new zone today. The roads were honestly no different to what they were the same time last week. Only difference was that a majority of the drivers were down twelve and a half quid!
The majority of drivers paid nothing as their vehicles are compliant.

I agree with you, a total ban on polluting vehicles would be better, maybe a £60 or £100 fine each time you drive in would make you change vehicles quicker than the current £12.50 one.

The problem is banning diesel cars at only 7 years old. It would have been more acceptable to match the registration date with petrol cars at 12 years old & just make the age roll with time.

Also the issue is with all the people living near the boundary & that far out from the center of London, public transport is pretty poor in certain not spots.
Both true, but as the ULEZ rollout was a requirement of the government for the covid tfl bailout, time is not available.

What I've not seen an explanation for, is why the dirty diesels aren't simply sold in parts of the UK where emissions aren't an issue, such as rural areas?

Also, I live in one of the outer London areas where public transport has been cited as a reason not to go ahead. The local council and MP have been pressing for many years for a tube station and tram links to no avail. My impression is that it'd be a long wait for that to happen. Government is too bothered 'shrinking the state' and not planning for improvements in infrastructure.

Both true, but as the ULEZ rollout was a requirement of the government for the covid tfl bailout, time is not available.

What I've not seen an explanation for, is why the dirty diesels aren't simply sold in parts of the UK where emissions aren't an issue, such as rural areas?

Also, I live in one of the outer London areas where public transport has been cited as a reason not to go ahead. The local council and MP have been pressing for many years for a tube station and tram links to no avail. My impression is that it'd be a long wait for that to happen. Government is too bothered 'shrinking the state' and not planning for improvements in infrastructure.

The ULEZ will mostly affect people travelling in to work. Most people who work aren’t on any benefits and if you aren’t on benefits you can’t claim via the scrappage scheme.

I have a so called dirty diesel. A 1.4l fiesta. I bought it to travel into London to work because it was cheap to run. £20 road tax and over 60mpg. Now it has to pay a £12.50 per day charge. Fortuanatly I don’t travel into the office every day now but if I did, it would still be cheaper to use it than take the train.

And the ULEZ has now made this little car worthless. And I do mean worthless with one word and not worth less with two words. Look what I got from we buy any car when I looked at changing it for something that is ULEZ compliant.

IMG_6578.jpeg

The ULEZ will mostly affect people travelling in to work. Most people who work aren’t on any benefits and if you aren’t on benefits you can’t claim via the scrappage scheme.
Incorrect. Scrappage scheme has been extended to everyone with a non-compliant car living in a London borough.
We have expanded the eligibility of the scrappage scheme and increased our grant payments to help even more London residents, and London-based charities and small businesses benefit from the available funds and prepare for the ULEZ expansion.

Any London resident living in one of the 32 London boroughs or the City of London with an eligible vehicle can apply to scrap a car or motorcycle, as you no longer need to receive certain benefits to apply.

Grant payments for eligible small businesses (under 50 employees), micro businesses (up to 10 employees), charities and sole traders have been increased and we are also providing greater support for disabled London residents by increasing the grant payment to scrap or retrofit a wheelchair accessible vehicle (WAV).

For the £2000 you can easily buy a compliant car, my 15 year old one is worth less than this and is compliant.

Incorrect. Scrappage scheme has been extended to everyone with a non-compliant car living in a London borough.
We have expanded the eligibility of the scrappage scheme and increased our grant payments to help even more London residents, and London-based charities and small businesses benefit from the available funds and prepare for the ULEZ expansion.

Any London resident living in one of the 32 London boroughs or the City of London with an eligible vehicle can apply to scrap a car or motorcycle, as you no longer need to receive certain benefits to apply.

Grant payments for eligible small businesses (under 50 employees), micro businesses (up to 10 employees), charities and sole traders have been increased and we are also providing greater support for disabled London residents by increasing the grant payment to scrap or retrofit a wheelchair accessible vehicle (WAV).

For the £2000 you can easily buy a compliant car, my 15 year old one is worth less than this and is compliant.
And what if you have a diesel that is 2015 and worth in real terms a lot more than the £2000 scrappage scheme and those cars that comply on the second hand market have gone up in value especially at the lower end of value as it is driven by the supply and demand the lower marrket which is where the struggling people are looking at then gets a price hike and makes it even harder to buy a compliant car without adding more funds beyond the true worth of a car

And what if you have a diesel that is 2015 and worth in real terms a lot more than the £2000 scrappage scheme
Sell it and buy something compliant? You could have done this back in December 2022 when the expansion was announced and before increased demand for compliant cars in the second hand market.
I stopped using diesel cars well over a decade ago and I could see that they were not environmentally friendly. Switched to buying a cheap used Prius which I swap for a slightly newer one when it starts to be uneconomical to repair or, more often, written off as some idiot has crashed into it whilst parked up.

I think you will find many of these older cars and newer diesels if you can call them that are trades people workers who may also have vans. They have just gone through a pandemic and may not be in the position you are in financially and struggling to survive and £2000 does not cut the mustard

They have just gone through a pandemic and may not be in the position you are in financially and struggling to survive and £2000 does not cut the mustard
Good job it's more than that then...

Eligibility expansion and payment increase

We have expanded the eligibility of the scrappage scheme and increased our grant payments to help even more London-based charities and businesses benefit from the money that is available. This page has the most up to date information on the scheme changes.

We have increased the grant payments to scrap or retrofit a non-compliant van or a minibus. Successful applicants can now get £7,000 to scrap a van, £9,000 to scrap a minibus, £6,000 to retrofit a van or minibus, £9,500 to scrap a van and replace with an electric van and £11,500 to scrap and replace a minibus with an electric minibus. From 4 August 2023, new applicants and those who have applied but not yet submitted evidence of scrap or retrofit, will be eligible for the increased payment.

Charities operating in London can apply to scrap or retrofit up to 3 vans or minibuses. If they have already received a grant for one vehicle as part of this scheme, they may reapply to scrap or retrofit an additional 2 vehicles. If they received a grant through the previous scrappage scheme, they may reapply to scrap or retrofit up to 3 vehicles.

Eligible sole traders and businesses can apply for up to 3 vans or minibuses in total. If they have already received a grant for one vehicle as part of this scheme, they may reapply to scrap or retrofit an additional 2 vehicles. If they received a grant through the previous scrappage scheme, they are not eligible to apply for this scheme.

Business and charity short-term grace period

London-based small businesses, micro businesses, sole traders and charities with new vans or minibuses ordered, or non-compliant vans or minibuses being retrofitted, that won't be ready until after the ULEZ expansion, may also benefit from our new short-term grace period. If you would like to apply, visit our discounts and exemptions page

Don't even have to live in London, just prove that you operate in one or more of the London boroughs

I stand corrected, but this is only for people who live in London. I does nothing to help those who live outside but have to travel in!
Speak to your local council to ask them why they are not introducing a scrap page scheme to get the most polluting cars off of their streets.
It also does nothing for air quality in London if everyone decides to pay the £12 charge and carry on driving their dirty cars around the city!
True. I think the fine for entering the ULEZ with a non-compliant vehicle should be similar as other traffic offence fines such as driving in a bus lane or parking incorrectly. £100 reducing to £50 if paid early.
People would soon change their habits then!

True. I think the fine for entering the ULEZ with a non-compliant vehicle should be similar as other traffic offence fines such as driving in a bus lane or parking incorrectly. £100 reducing to £50 if paid early.
People would soon change their habits then!
I might start making Velcro backed false number plates i can see them becoming very popular in London. ;)

Back