Uncovering Treasure

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzly299

The Beer Bear
Reaction score
So I was rummaging through the shed to gather some bottles to bottle up my Hasselhops Porter when right at the back I found some full ones.

I Checked the caps for my mark and it turned out to be a Belgian Tripel that I had made from a 9L Brewferm kit over a year ago!

I remember that it was fermented rather warm and had a stuck ferment which eventually kicked off again in the secondary after some agitation and patience.

I also remembered tasting it after a few months and it was awful, harsh, bitter and just not nice at all.

So I just cracked a bottle open, and well.....It's bloody lovely. Malty, slight bitterness with a soft mouthfeel caramel dried fruit and very very slight hint of spices! Tastes more like a dark Abbey or Abdij but I tell you what I don't care.

What a find! What a difference 5-6 months can make!

I urge people not to give up on their brews! I had committed this to the drain! Shame on me.

Hey Grizzly sounds awsome, i meant to say hi on ur introduce urself thread im a welshman to. Bit of a forum lurker. I just tasted after 2 weeks brewferm framboise which i thought was fermented too warm. Tastes ok promising i think, but it definately needs some time. I read that brewferm kits get better at the 6 month mark.

Hey Grizzly sounds awsome, i meant to say hi on ur introduce urself thread im a welshman to. Bit of a forum lurker. I just tasted after 2 weeks brewferm framboise which i thought was fermented too warm. Tastes ok promising i think, but it definately needs some time. I read that brewferm kits get better at the 6 month mark.

For the stronger ones I think that is certainly the case. I also found three bottles of 8 month old Geordie Export hiding. Cracked one open! Beautifully clean, crisp and malty with a light bitter crunch. Apparently I was drinking the kit beers too soon!

I'm also impressed that they're still drinkable, not so much the Tripel because it's high abv. But my sanitation must have been good for the export to still be good.

Almost forgot, Hi!

Ive not done many brews myself, just on the border of moving into all grain, my brother has the equipment and space and we have done a few HBC mash kits American pale ale and Amrican lager. I do have some bottles of Ritchies Simply pale ale and lager kits i did with 1kg brew enhancer back in march which i think now are very very drinkable session ales. So i guess time is the answer for kit beers ?

Ive not done many brews myself, just on the border of moving into all grain, my brother has the equipment and space and we have done a few HBC mash kits American pale ale and Amrican lager. I do have some bottles of Ritchies Simply pale ale and lager kits i did with 1kg brew enhancer back in march which i think now are very very drinkable session ales. So i guess time is the answer for kit beers ?

it would appear so!

Latest posts

Back