Undecided about first attempt...Advice pls

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizidave

Reaction score
I have a few brews on the go now but my first venture into brewing was a beaverdale Merlot Kit. (5 Gal)

It has been bottled now for about 5/6 weeks and ive drunk maybe 3 or 4 bottles.

however, i did drop a nut with it (being new) and i bottled too early (went with teh instructions rather than thinking about it) before it was properly clear.

Now the bottles have quite a bit of sediment in them and when opened smell a bit eggy (which i assume is the sediment??).

The wine actually tastes ok, but i keep thinking about opening all the bottles into a bin, clearing and re-bottling (aaaarrgghh all that washing).

Could do with some advice as to what you would do?

Thanks.

yep its a pain in the arris, but may be worth it so you dont think of the eggy taste when you get the smell, its sometimes hard to not link them together even though you can only smell it.

ive done a similar exercise with a brew that wasnt to my taste whilst sweetening. i emptied em all out, resweetened and rebottled.

i assume you are gonna go back to DJ and let it settle for a few days? or are you gonna pass it through a filter?

the only thing id suggest you watch out for is contamination during the process. Every time you rack/bottle wine you introduce the possibilty of infection from beasties and fruitflies..acetification and the like.

just make sure everything is sterile and execute speedily.

neil

sounds like a plan.

i think the longer you leave it after re-djing the better simply so the sediment solidifies. if you arent worried about drinking it next week then leave as long as possible. its obviously been ct'd and sorbated so there wont be any further fermentation. Acutally leaving it under a bung/airlock/cellothane will actually help the brew mature better than in separate bottles so the overall outcome may be more beneficial than leaving them as they are.

Neil

Well, ive emptied 22 bottles into a 19l DJ.

Rinsed and sterilised and rinsed the bottles again (what a f'in job).

I leave till next weekend and see if its worth bottling again.

All ive done is add 1 CT??

Latest posts

Back