US-05 Rehydration & Reclaimation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew Dawg

Reaction score
For my next and 3rd brew I will be using this for a coopers IPA kit and liquid malt extract with most likely Chinook & Nelson Sauvin hops.

I've read up a few pages on this yeast and it appears to be quite a challenge compared to the usual ale yeast that comes with kits so i'm looking for a bit of pre-planning advice.

Rehydration seems to be mentioned quite often - what are the key steps to doing this and will I probably need to invest in a liquid thermometer or anything else? Or is dry pitching still acceptable for this strain of yeast?

How do you go about reclaiming yeast for a future use (i've read people mentioning that yeast can be used 2-3 times before its by its best).

This is all very new to me so any insight would be greatly appreciated! Likewise, any tips on controlling this yeast during fermentation as i've seen it doesn't settle quite as easy as normal strains.

Cheers! :cheers:

get some preboiled water ready at 21C

30 to 40 mins prior to pitching
get a sterile half pint glass add 110ml of the pre boiled
then sprinkle the yeast on put cling film over it and put it into your fermenting fridge
after about 10 mins give it a swill around just to submerge the yeast
after this time you will notice your yeast frothing
and risen
then pour it into your wort lid on and your done
this is 05 yeast ready to go took 35 mins to reach this stage ready at 19C in my brew fridge

nobyipa said:
get some preboiled water ready at 21C

30 to 40 mins prior to pitching
get a sterile half pint glass add 110ml of the pre boiled
then sprinkle the yeast on put cling film over it and put it into your fermenting fridge
after about 10 mins give it a swill around just to submerge the yeast
after this time you will notice your yeast frothing
and risen
then pour it into your wort lid on and your done

That is a solid rehydration guide right there, will follow this to the letter when its time to pitch!

Thanks! :thumb:

Reclaiming anyone? And is it possible to reclaim if you use finings or gelatin?

comark digital thermometers dont break are fully submersible and super accurate at around £15 from comark

:thumb:

Brew Dawg said:
For my next and 3rd brew I will be using this for a coopers IPA kit and liquid malt extract with most likely Chinook & Nelson Sauvin hops.

I've read up a few pages on this yeast and it appears to be quite a challenge compared to the usual ale yeast that comes with kits so i'm looking for a bit of pre-planning advice.

Rehydration seems to be mentioned quite often - what are the key steps to doing this and will I probably need to invest in a liquid thermometer or anything else? Or is dry pitching still acceptable for this strain of yeast?

How do you go about reclaiming yeast for a future use (i've read people mentioning that yeast can be used 2-3 times before its by its best).

This is all very new to me so any insight would be greatly appreciated! Likewise, any tips on controlling this yeast during fermentation as i've seen it doesn't settle quite as easy as normal strains.

Cheers! :cheers:
dry pitching is ok
myself personally only use brand new yeast
ferment at 19C
nelson sauvin one of my favourate hops at the moment :thumb:

I've got my water bath and electrim immersion heater at 21C with the four finger jack kit on just now, and it's been constantly at that temp so will turn it down a notch or two for this next kit.

Want to get a full bodied IPA with big hops aroma and flavour, so may use the chinook for bitterness and nelson sauvin for aroma and flavour... Punk style!

Brew Dawg said:
I've got my water bath and electrim immersion heater at 21C with the four finger jack kit on just now, and it's been constantly at that temp so will turn it down a notch or two for this next kit.

Want to get a full bodied IPA with big hops aroma and flavour, so may use the chinook for bitterness and nelson sauvin for aroma and flavour... Punk style!
you cant beat the old punk style
and loads o dry hopping

:drink: :thumb:

Back