Use of Campden Tablet

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norlettdriver

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm just about to start my first brew (Munton's Premium Stout) and I'm unsure about the use/necessity of campden tablets.

Do I have to use them (no taste of chlorne in our tap water)? And if so how do I go about it, just to add to the possible confusion, I only have one FV so I can't treat the water and then add it to my brew, is it ok to add it to the wort before adding the yeast?!

Thanks in advance for ideas and answers!

Rich

It all depends on the water you are using. If your water is very soft then you don't need to use it.

I called my water authority asking for a report on my tap water - they might as well have sent me a blank sheet of paper as there is avery little in it so I don't bother adding campden tablets.

If your water tastes ok to you, then I wouldn't worry about treating it :thumb:

Good luck with your brew :cheers:

evanvine said:
Chlorine considerations (other than taste when kit brewing) only really come into play when AG brewing.
Sorry but that is not correct, all wort derived from malted barley (grain really) contains polyphenols and prototannoids (complex polyphenols) these will react with chlorine to form TriChloroPhenols (TCP) as these are above the taste threshold in the parts per billion range it is always worth treating the water with 1/2 a campden table per 10 UK gallons .. . even if you can't taste/smell chlorine in the water supply.

Aleman said:
evanvine said:
it is always worth treating the water with 1/2 a campden table per 10 UK gallons .. .

I'm going to start my next kit soon - I have some Campden tablets (having previously bought powder :oops: ), can I just check that this is the amount to put in - and how to add it....I was planning on crushing and adding to 5L mineral water bottles filled with tap water, waiting overnight till it dissolves and then use them the next day for my kit.

Does this sound ok?

Sorry for stupid Q :roll:

tooker said:
I'm going to start my next kit soon - I have some Campden tablets (having previously bought powder :oops: ), can I just check that this is the amount to put in - and how to add it....I was planning on crushing and adding to 5L mineral water bottles filled with tap water, waiting overnight till it dissolves and then use them the next day for my kit.
Does this sound ok?

Nothing wrong with using powder, as long as you remember 1tsp = 10 campden tablets.

You don't have to leave it overnight, just crush half a tablet, add it to your 5 gallons and give it a stir. The effect is almost instant.

jamesb said:
tooker said:
Does this sound ok?

Nothing wrong with using powder, as long as you remember 1tsp = 10 campden tablets.

You don't have to leave it overnight, just crush half a tablet, add it to your 5 gallons and give it a stir. The effect is almost instant.

Sorry, is it 1/2 tablet to 5Gallons or 1/2 tablet to 10Gallons - or does it not matter too much if you overdose?

tooker said:
Sorry, is it 1/2 tablet to 5Gallons or 1/2 tablet to 10Gallons - or does it not matter too much if you overdose?

There are ways of calculating how much you need, but you can't go wrong with 1/2 a tab per 5g.

As has been said, half a tab for 5 gals should do it - although, I was under the impression that if you are able to leave your water overnight, then no campden tab is necessary.

I always use half a tab in my water just to be on the safe side!

Tony said:
As has been said, half a tab for 5 gals should do it - although, I was under the impression that if you are able to leave your water overnight, then no campden tab is necessary.

This *might* work with chlorinated water, but not if your water company uses chloramine.

I always use half a tab in my water just to be on the safe side!

tooker said:
1 Campden Tablet will treat up to 3mg/l Chlorine in 20 US Gallons of water ~ 17 UK Gallons, so 1/2 Will treat about 10 UK Gallons . . . . It does not matter if you overdose . . . even by a massive amount really . . .

As you seem to be all knowledgeable on the chemistry Aleman, what's the reaction/neutralisation that occurs? Does the Chlorine end up as sodium chloride? Just out of interest.
PJ

pjbiker said:
As you seem to be all knowledgeable on the chemistry Aleman, what's the reaction/neutralisation that occurs? Does the Chlorine end up as sodium chloride? Just out of interest.
PJ
Absolutely and the sulphite converts to sulphate. I did an article on the chemistry involved for Brewers Contact a couple of issues ago, as someone said that they would never do this because of the issues of not knowing what was going on with the other reactions. What it showed was that the other reactions are tiny and can in effect pretty much be ignored.

So when kit brewing is it ok to throw the campden tablet in with the wort or do I need to put the water + campden tablet in a seperate vessel and leave it overnight?

Crush Campden tablet into brewing bin . . . fill with water . . . stir . . . Make Beer . . . . Done!

Back