Uses for perry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyhibbett

Landlord.
Reaction score
I bought a 3 litre box of medium dry perry for £5 at Aldi. I was more interested in the box than the contents, as a more efficient way of chilling and storing white wine in the fridge. Actually the perry is quite nice, with 7.5% abv. Any higher, it was be classed as wine and taxed at a higher rate, so quite a cheap way of buying an alcoholic drink.
I could carbonate it with the Sodastream and turn it into Babycham. I could introduce it to a wine which included pears in the recipe, half way through fermentation, or use it as an improver for overly dry, harsh wine.

The Babycham option worked well. Sodastream is designed to work with water and not with wine. It worked pretty well with cider at 5.5% abv and seems to cope with this perry, and makes it a more interesting drink. However, Babycham itself is somewhat sweeter, as I recall.
1 litre down. 2 to go.

tonyhibbett said:
I bought a 3 litre box of medium dry perry for £5 at Aldi.

Was this a special as I haven't seen it in Aldi before. If this is a flat true perry I would be happy to give it a try at that price.

Dave

They still stock it. It is still medium dry perry, but at 7.5% abv it has clearly been fermented with extra sugar and at that price, extra water too. It tastes good, served only slightly chilled, if at all.

tonyhibbett said:
They still stock it. It is still medium dry perry, but at 7.5% abv it has clearly been fermented with extra sugar and at that price, extra water too. It tastes good, served only slightly chilled, if at all.

Thanks for that - I'll give it a try.

Dave

Latest posts

Back