Using Trugs for Temperature Control

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Global33

Reaction score
I'd rather like a brew fridge, but the other half isn't convinced yet, so in the meantime I have to make do. I'm a slightly concerned that the temperature is a bit low in my kitchen for brewing ale so have been thinking of having my FV in a builders trug with a small aquarium heater in there. Does anyone else do this? If so what wattage aquarium heater do you use...it's quite a small amount of water so could I get away with as little as 25w.

I'm a little nervous about using an FV with a tap on, especially as I found that one of mine was leaking this morning. I stuck some silicone sealant round it, but worry that if it was in a tub full of water it could have wrecked the brew. The other annoying thing is that I've already got a fair few 40L trugs and a test with the tap on, the tap pushes out against the edge slightly. Is it possible to get blanking plates that would fit the hole in my existing FVs? I've only just bought them, so it would be annoying to have to replace them already.

Finally in terms of monitoring temperature. Is the thermostat on the aquarium heaters good enough or is it worth a separate setup? I've ordered a multi pack of the stick on things, but they must be coming from China as they haven't arrived yet and I read they aren't that great anyway. If using a separate thermometer, does it need to be in the wort or is just being the surrounding water enough?

Thanks for the link to the thread.

Any ideas a out how to remove the taps from my FVs. I've only just bought 3 of them!

Any ideas a out how to remove the taps from my FVs. I've only just bought 3 of them!
To be fair there are 3 answers.
1) Chuck them out.
2) Use for bottling only, with a bottling wand
3)Buy new again
I suppose you could fill up the taps with silicone sealant, but that seems a bit drastic. I have taps on mine and I just let it bubble away, even tho I know my house has huge temperature fluctuations, especially in the winter.

How about removing the tap and put it on the inside with the nut on the outside. Put the FV in a bin bag and put it in the trug.
Or go to a decent plumbing supplies and they should have something to suit.

If you do decide to go with taps like stringybob, I'd recommend having the water level lower in the trug than the fv, so that the water pressure inside the fv is greater than that outside. Bin-bag idea is a good-un too.

What are the temps in your kitchen/ FV spot?? fermentation will create its own heat and can raise the brews temp upto 5c above ambient. And generally speaking you get the best flavours from yeasts when they ferment at the lower end of the temperature range published as ideal for the strain.

you could simply negate the issue entierly by switching to a yeast like US-05 which will ferment at temps as low as 12c ;) or wrapping up the bucket to retain the heat it generates, and as the year progresses the ambient temps will just continue to rise and cooling will be the issue :)

I'd rather like a brew fridge, but the other half isn't convinced yet, so in the meantime I have to make do. I'm a slightly concerned that the temperature is a bit low in my kitchen for brewing ale so have been thinking of having my FV in a builders trug with a small aquarium heater in there. Does anyone else do this? If so what wattage aquarium heater do you use...it's quite a small amount of water so could I get away with as little as 25w.

I'm a little nervous about using an FV with a tap on, especially as I found that one of mine was leaking this morning. I stuck some silicone sealant round it, but worry that if it was in a tub full of water it could have wrecked the brew. The other annoying thing is that I've already got a fair few 40L trugs and a test with the tap on, the tap pushes out against the edge slightly. Is it possible to get blanking plates that would fit the hole in my existing FVs? I've only just bought them, so it would be annoying to have to replace them already.

Finally in terms of monitoring temperature. Is the thermostat on the aquarium heaters good enough or is it worth a separate setup? I've ordered a multi pack of the stick on things, but they must be coming from China as they haven't arrived yet and I read they aren't that great anyway. If using a separate thermometer, does it need to be in the wort or is just being the surrounding water enough?
Best bet is to get a brew fridge, it'll go nicely in the lounge next to the telly, she'll never notice it. :whistle:

What are the temps in your kitchen/ FV spot?? fermentation will create its own heat and can raise the brews temp upto 5c above ambient. And generally speaking you get the best flavours from yeasts when they ferment at the lower end of the temperature range published as ideal for the strain.

you could simply negate the issue entierly by switching to a yeast like US-05 which will ferment at temps as low as 12c ;) or wrapping up the bucket to retain the heat it generates, and as the year progresses the ambient temps will just continue to rise and cooling will be the issue :)

Fair points. Didn't know that about yeast creating it's own heat, in which case it's probably ok. As I said I'm still waiting for my stick on strips, but the thermometer I've got in the kitchen is reading 17.5, not sure what it's dropping to at night.

I'm open to using a different yeast strain, but it does add a couple of quid to each batch, so I'd like to try other things first.

As you say in summer I'm going to start having the issue of cooling. I'd hoped that keeping them in trugs might also help regulate it by putting in some freezer ice packs each day.

Best bet is to get a brew fridge, it'll go nicely in the lounge next to the telly, she'll never notice it. :whistle:

I'll probably be able to get one eventually. I just need to prove my brewing isn't another flash in pan and get everything else tidied away neatly...

Anyway even if I do, this gives the ability to brew more beer. :)

As you say in summer I'm going to start having the issue of cooling. I'd hoped that keeping them in trugs might also help regulate it by putting in some freezer ice packs each day.

I don't have a cooling system for the summer but for the last couple of years I've got both Mangrove Jacks M10 Workhorse, and Mauribrew 514 Ale yeast. Both of them have a high temperature tolerance and don't produce off flavours up to 30-32c. They've worked really well for me, my only problem in the summer is that my beers don't clear as the shed just isn't hitting the low temps to clear my beer.

I brew in the utility area - air temp about 17-19 during the day, at night the temperature falls but I have a tray heater (25 watt) which I use on a clock timer to come on and off a few times during the night (winter time) In summer temperature remains a bit higher so use nothing. Temperature in the brew seems to keep pretty constant at 20C so have not deemed it necessary to bother with anything more sophisticated.

Fair points. Didn't know that about yeast creating it's own heat, in which case it's probably ok. As I said I'm still waiting for my stick on strips, but the thermometer I've got in the kitchen is reading 17.5, not sure what it's dropping to at night.

I'm open to using a different yeast strain, but it does add a couple of quid to each batch, so I'd like to try other things first.

For me this is a perfect temp for ales. I often aim for 17C when fermenting. Most ale yeast can handle down to 16C even though it doesnt say so on the packet

I don't have a cooling system for the summer but for the last couple of years I've got both Mangrove Jacks M10 Workhorse, and Mauribrew 514 Ale yeast. Both of them have a high temperature tolerance and don't produce off flavours up to 30-32c. They've worked really well for me, my only problem in the summer is that my beers don't clear as the shed just isn't hitting the low temps to clear my beer.

I know your keen on temp tolerant yeast strains for summer, Larry. Have you come across the Omega hothead? It a newish one. BrewUK have it stock now

https://www.brewuk.co.uk/omega-hothead.html

I have only used a trug for cooling, not heating. It was with a FV with a tap and no problem. I did have to turn the tap sideways though. The one thing I would say is temperature control is important whether in a fridge or trug or whatever.

I have only used a trug for cooling, not heating. It was with a FV with a tap and no problem. I did have to turn the tap sideways though. The one thing I would say is temperature control is important whether in a fridge or trug or whatever.

Absolutely true, but I do rather like free-fermenting with yeast that has an appropriate temp range for the ambiant temp

Do you think something like this in the hole with some silicone sealant may do the job?

http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-bqe0448-hole-plug-l25mm-pack-of-10/178090_BQ.prd

Hopefully someone who know a bit more about physic than me will be able to confirm this (or not) but even if the FV is leaking from the tap a bit, wouldnt the fact that the pressure from 23L of fermenting beer inside the FV prevent any water that your FV is sitting in, in the trub from getting in the FV?

Latest posts

Back