Ventilation help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 17277

Reaction score
Hi... Have just signed up having taken the jump from extract to BIAB.

Brew 2 was a hefe with a 90 minute boil which literally caused it to rain beer in my kitchen. Eventual plan is to brew in the cellar and vent everything out the coal chute, but I don't have the funds to run plumbing and drainage just yet.

Was thinking about just fixing a panel over the window on brewdog (plywood/OSB etc.) And cutting a hole for an extractor fan...

Anyone with experience of this who can tell me whether a) it will be effective enough not having a hood over the actual boiler and b) any recommendation of a cheap extractor... Preferably one that can just be plugged into the mains.

Option 2 is boil outside... Just don't see how I can move the batch without burning myself, contaminating the batch or both.

Have recurring thought of the neighbours cat jumping in... But generally just the generally British weather being an issue.

I boiled once inside but never again (SWMBO :nono:) Apart from having to keep an eye on the weather forecast I find boiling outside no problem (on cold winter days I put a foil bubble wrap around the boiler to speed up time to get to a boil). Next to the window on a kids toy table the flex just reaches a socket and our outside tap is handily only a foot away. Also just the right height to drain into a 25lt wine fermenter before transferring to the SS Chronical.

Resize of P1030756.jpg

Boil outside ;)

Mid summer if you chill with an IC you may have a midge or 2 buzzing about over the last of the chill, but the steam and vapour pouring out of your kettle will keep it safe for the boil duration, And the boil will neutralise anything that fell in prior..

just be sensible about feeding electricity to power elements Use 13a rated extension leads and fully unwind, and keep all electrical connections away from where spills or splashes (rain) can cause problems.

Steam extraction is just one problem tieing up the kitchen for 5-6 hours at a time ;)

You need a flippin' big fan to cope with a boiler indoors. Forget domestic bathroom/shower extractors and the like, you'll need ducting and a in-line fan (and probably a custom built hood too).

I work in a small utility room with one of these* in the roof space: http://www.justfans.co.uk/silent-acoustic-inline-mixed-flow-duct-fan-tdsilent-p-197.html and it only just about copes (some wet streaks on the walls). Admittedly, I have a 100L boiler and may be preparing 45-65L batches. Setting up with anything less sounds good at the time but will ultimately disappoint.

(EDIT: *I think the price reflects the lack of noise with these things - if noise isn't an issue you can get cheaper).

Feeling a lot of love for moving outdoors... Would be a popular choice in the household too. Reckon I might try that next time.

As I only have a small peco boiler is there likely to be any problems getting a rolling boil in the British winter?

after years of patio brewing ;) i gained the luxury of a shed i could devote to the job, spent a while insulating cladding and painting with washable moisture proof paint.

before work began I had a few failed steam extraction experiments, Condensation City as they would say in the 70's..

the solution was like BrewersDroop above to boil in the doorway, But to also open the window and sit a fan behind the 100l kettle, Now i boil with zero condensation issues, with the aided natural breeze of air in the window and out the door carrying all the steam with it..

10369580565_256f9e8649.jpg

the steam hardly rises a foot before its carried outside ;) the 50cm 220w fan is overkill as its only ever on setting #1..

You need a flippin' big fan to cope with a boiler indoors. Forget domestic bathroom/shower extractors and the like, you'll need ducting and a in-line fan (and probably a custom built hood too).

I work in a small utility room with one of these* in the roof space: http://www.justfans.co.uk/silent-acoustic-inline-mixed-flow-duct-fan-tdsilent-p-197.html and it only just about copes (some wet streaks on the walls). Admittedly, I have a 100L boiler and may be preparing 45-65L batches. Setting up with anything less sounds good at the time but will ultimately disappoint.

(EDIT: *I think the price reflects the lack of noise with these things - if noise isn't an issue you can get cheaper).

That's pretty much what I was afraid of... This looks a good fan... Alas I'm not quite getting to 100l boils any time soon. But for this price range I'd probably get a hole knocked through and replace the kitchen hood instead... Thanks though.

The problem with extraction systems is that they loose effectiveness over a fairly short distance. Therefore you either need a very powerful fan or some form of hood close to the team source.

It is not that difficult to achieve with an inline fan, some ducting (this need to be able to withstand steam temperatures) and a bit of DIY on your kettle lid.

This is my system and it works pretty well although you do get some condensation dripping back into the boiler

DSCF6069.jpg

DSCF6071.jpg

... Alas I'm not quite getting to 100l boils any time soon. ...
Alas here also! I'm not getting my point across. Ignore the 100L boiler, the important bit was "small utility room". I might be brewing 2-3 times what most people turn out, but they'd probably have a space (kitchen?) 4-5 times bigger than my utility room. Read what "Dads_Ale" posted. Don't think because I get away with a 100L boiler in a tiny room (with a custom built hood - if you think the fan is expensive... ) I could use that fan in my kitchen with even a 30L boiler.

"Dads_Ale" does however illustrate a low-cost scheme to effectively go one better than a steam hood.

His steam extraction through a window illustrates another important factor: I have the fan in the roof space (there is no such thing as a "silent" fan) because the utility room is in a single floor extension; if you are trying to work things on the ground floor of a 2 (or more) floored building that's a headache.

Move outside unless you really (and I mean really) want to be indoors. The main advantage of having an indoor brewery is for making other brewers jealous.

Brewed inside the garage once and never again!

EVERY tool hanging on the walls was covered with moisture plus the fronts (and possibly the sides and backs) of the washing machine and freezer as well.

You will need large inlet and outlet fans to the kitchen in order to prevent the moisture (and smells) from permeating throughout the whole house; and by the time you have spent the time and money on that little project the cost of a higher Kw boiler will pale into insignificance!

Personally I recommend brewing outside.

It's tolerable in the winter and magical in the summer! :thumb:

I have a friend that's a kitchen fitter and he got me a used NEFF cooker hood and fan that I've installed in the garage directly above my boiler. It pretty much copes with rolling boils at around 40 litres but even then, with less than a metre from rim of boiler to outside via ducting through the garage wall, there is an element of dripping condensation that I have to keep on top of with a regular wipe down every five or 10 minutes.
A million times better than PH (pre hood) though. That was like a garage sauna!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I brew in a conservatory/laundry room. I did a brew in November and got a lot of condensation, so I bought one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322149161...49&var=511062153302&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I attached it to a piece of plywood that could hang on to the open window, so its not permanent. It will shift 400m3 of air per hour for less than £30 delivered. They also do bigger ones for not a great deal more cash that will extract up to 1750m3 of air per hour. They are not too noisy and mine works very well. I don't want to brew outside, so this is the answer for me :thumb:

From the number of people who brew indoors, I'm beginning to realise that many Forum Members are either agoraphobic, live in small apartments or are single!

Personally, I love the smell of mashed grain, boiling wort and fermenting beer and wine, ... :thumb:

... but I think it's very much an acquired taste! :whistle:

Latest posts

Back