Victory Malt - Roast Your Own

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smiddylad

Reaction score
Hi All
I’m wanna make an American Brown Ale and the recipe I am using calls for a 100 grams or so of Victory malt, which I am struggling to get as it is an American malt. The internet says of it:

Flavor: Imparts a “toasty” character to beers.

Nutty taste
Biscuity
Baking Bread

Color: 25 – 28 Lovibond. Colors described from sources I discovered ranged from slight red to amber to orange highlights. I guess it depends on how much you use.

Body: Improves body and head retention.

Does anyone know of a good English equivalent, or even better, know if I could toast say Maris Otter in the oven to replicate it’s style. I would prefer option b as I have a load of Maris Otter and it wouldn’t cost me much to try it.

Someone mention on the internet (I can’t remember where) that you could roast a malt for 15 mins and that should do it. But he didn’t say what type of malt and at what temp. Also if my memory serves me well you need to give the malt a couple of weeks to settle after you’ve done roasting it as it has some unpleasant by products in it..

Ultimately I imagine Victory malt gives a key flavour component to an American Brown Ale and I don’t wanna wing it with a bit of crystal as a replacement, so any help would be hugely appreciated

Cheers

Neil

Thanks guys, I did a little reading and came across a post that recommends roasting some grain, which was Marris Otter in my case, for 16 mins at 180c. Giving it all a turn at the half way mark. The colour of the grain didn't change that much but there was a marked difference in flavour when I tasted it. With the most notable change in flavour being a nice little coffee note. Not sure if I hit the flavour profile of victory but I'm really intrigued to see how it impacts the final beer

Neil

P.S. next time I think I will invest in some buiscuit when I order my next batch of grain as I think this might be the best solution going forward

Latest posts

Back