Virgin brewer, help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloe jim

Reaction score
Hi to all,
Im an expert drinker but an absolute virgin when it comes making the brown stuff.
Allready picked up some great tips from this site and made a great first brew(coopers australian real ale) and acheived a good out 1.002...
BUT had a woodfordes wherry in the fv for 10 days now and you guest it, its stuck on 1.020 temp has been a constant 20 deg. gave it a genlte stir after 8 days but still no joy. the only thing is when you taste it it taste's really bitter not sweet at all. shall i just keg it or try to get it down further???? :hmm:

i think that adding a bit more yeast to it will kick start it or some yeast nutrient. maybe add a bit more sugar to get it to the taste you want it to get too, i haven't personally done a Wherry kit but i would like to sometime soon. maybe try and give it a bit more heat and it should kickstart. have you measured the S.g. over 3 days? if its the same for 3 days straight then its stopped.. if it changes over the 3 days.. then its still fermenting... patience :)

Thanks for the reply!

It has definatley stopped fermenting and has been at 1.020 for 4/5 days now even with a gentle stir in-between, so i will get some more yeast and try what you recomended. will make up a starter with a bit of sugar and add it in and see how we go.........

Latest posts

Back