Washing yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rod

There's certainly enough there to pitch into a 1 ltr starter, to grow enough cells to pitch into a brew athumb.. ... and used like that, the yeast in those jars will be good for at least a month or two ... beyond a couple of months in the fridge you could still use it, but you'd need to give it a bit more TLC (basically, pitch into a smaller starter and then step your starter up), and when handled like that I've used yeast stored like you've got in your fridge over a year after it being collected :?: ... recently I re-claimed some yeast from the bottom of a bottle of a homebrew I put into that bottle 6 years ago, it's hardy stuff yeast wink...

But I know you're only playing/learning with this ... it's probably cheaper to buy a new packet of Gervin than the 100g of DME will cost you to make a starter, anyway ... so leaving the more "advanced" stuff for future experiments, you should aim to use the yeast in those jars in the next few weeks athumb..

Cheers, PhilB

Hi Rod

There's certainly enough there to pitch into a 1 ltr starter, to grow enough cells to pitch into a brew athumb.. ... and used like that, the yeast in those jars will be good for at least a month or two ... beyond a couple of months in the fridge you could still use it, but you'd need to give it a bit more TLC (basically, pitch into a smaller starter and then step your starter up), and when handled like that I've used yeast stored like you've got in your fridge over a year after it being collected :?: ... recently I re-claimed some yeast from the bottom of a bottle of a homebrew I put into that bottle 6 years ago, it's hardy stuff yeast wink...

But I know you're only playing/learning with this ... it's probably cheaper to buy a new packet of Gervin than the 100g of DME will cost you to make a starter, anyway ... so leaving the more "advanced" stuff for future experiments, you should aim to use the yeast in those jars in the next few weeks athumb..

Cheers, PhilB
Ok Phil cheers I deffo want to have ago, going off what you say I will know before I pitch if it is live and will work, yeah gervin is only £1-75 in wilko, I have some us-05 for my next brew so will grab some of that as well. I suppose this harvesting is only economical with the dearer yeasts

Ok Phil cheers I deffo want to have ago, going off what you say I will know before I pitch if it is live and will work, yeah gervin is only £1-75 in wilko, I have some us-05 for my next brew so will grab some of that as well. I suppose this harvesting is only economical with the dearer yeasts
Try saving some of the yeast cake into a jar and use that to pitch into your next brew or pitch directly onto the yeast cake itself.

Back