Water depth in malt pipe seems too shallow for grain bill (Brew Devil, Son of Punkie Ipa kit)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaedee

Reaction score
Hey folks, my first ever brew.

According to the instructions on Malt Miller's Son of Punkie kit, I need to use 12.5l of liquor. The problem is that with this amount in the Brew Devil, and the malt pipe added (the cylinder thing with the false bottom and overflow pipe), there's only about 5cm of water sitting in the malt pipe. Doesn't seem enough to mash in 5kg of grain.

Any ideas before I start?

The norm is to add the amount of dead space volume to the mash water. I think it's 6ltrs? And take that away from the sparge .

The brew devil is a single-vessel (essentially automated BIAB) kit. Your instructions are for folks with a 3 vessel setup that has a separate mash tun.

Since this is your first brew add all your water to the brew devil at the start (a full-volume mash). In the future you might like to experiment in saving some back for a post-mash sparge because it'll raise your efficiency but there's no need to do it first time while you're getting used to it.

The brew devil is a single-vessel (essentially automated BIAB) kit. Your instructions are for folks with a 3 vessel setup that has a separate mash tun.

Since this is your first brew add all your water to the brew devil at the start (a full-volume mash). In the future you might like to experiment in saving some back for a post-mash sparge because it'll raise your efficiency but there's no need to do it first time while you're getting used to it.

OK, brilliant, I'm going to do it the BIAB way for my first go.

The instructions have a "boil size" of 26.84l.

Is this the amount of water I should add to the Brew Devil, before adding grain?

OK, brilliant, I'm going to do it the BIAB way for my first go.

The instructions have a "boil size" of 26.84l.

Is this the amount of water I should add to the Brew Devil, before adding grain?
No, it's the amount of water that remains after you've lifted the grain out, let it drain and are ready to boil. The amount you add will need to be more to account for the water that gets left behind in the wet grain.

I've seen absorption quoted as 0.8 litres/kg for the grainfather which is a similar system and that would mean an extra 4 litres in your recipe and that's likely to overflow your 30 litre system.

If you want, try running with the 26 litres and after the mash is complete and you've lifted the grain, check to see how much wort you've got. If it's less than the called for 26.8 litres then heat up the difference in a separate pan to 75C and pour it gently over the grains for a sparge and top-up all in one.

Whatever you do, always measure volumes and gravities pre and post-boil so you can dial-in your recipe for next time.

OK, bit of a problem.

Given that the boil volume is 26.84l, and I'd have to be adding at least some back as sparge, I started with a total volume of liquor of 26l.

Added the 5kg grain bill, mashed in. So far so good.

But, when adding the top mesh plate to the malt pipe, it basically sank below the surface. I'll be able to get it back, but I know it's not meant to do this. I think that using 26l with this machine means that the mash is not dense enough to support the top mesh filter plate.

I've started recirculation now, just letting the mash happen. There are grains above the level of the top mesh filter plate, I can see them, but they're not going down the overflow, so I think this is OK?

OK, bit of a problem.

Given that the boil volume is 26.84l, and I'd have to be adding at least some back as sparge, I started with a total volume of liquor of 26l.

Added the 5kg grain bill, mashed in. So far so good.

But, when adding the top mesh plate to the malt pipe, it basically sank below the surface. I'll be able to get it back, but I know it's not meant to do this. I think that using 26l with this machine means that the mash is not dense enough to support the top mesh filter plate.

I've started recirculation now, just letting the mash happen. There are grains above the level of the top mesh filter plate, I can see them, but they're not going down the overflow, so I think this is OK?
It's perfectly normal for a few grains to escape through the plate. It won't help you today, but for my Grainfather, I've started using a S/S sink strainer like this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainles...=item33f204ed62:g:VyIAAOSw0EZbc8we:rk:42:pf:0 over the overflow pipe to prevent grains going down. Check that the size is suitable for your pipework.

OK folks, brew complete.

OG of 1049. This is obviously about 10 points off where it should be, according to the recipe. (Recipe calls for 1059).

Is this a disaster?

Definitely not a disaster, in fact not bad at all for your first attempt. If you have a good fermentation you'll still end up with a 5-point-something percent ale. What happened is that your overall efficiency was less than the 75% recipe figure that was formulated for someone else's equipment.

Back