Water Treatment - St Helens - North West - Lake Vyrnwy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocTrucker

Reaction score
Ok, I'd posted this message in the discussion by mistake and it disappears! Any how I was looking for it to add a few comments. I'm most interested in the treatments people whose supply is also connected to Lake Vyrnwy are applying, particularly those who are doing so based on measurements.

This site shows two types of chlorine levels for my water supply and I'm curious at what level you should consider measures such as campden tablets.

Last message:

Hi all,

I'm wondering what water treatments people in the local area carry out. I've tried adding gypsum to the latest brew but was wondering about the need for campden tablets or PH adjustments.

Thanks,

Wes.

These all appear to be close to my question but I was just wondering at what point should you be concerned? I'm only brewing malt extract at the moment with grains for seeping, but I as I understand it PH adjustments or at least checks would be recommended to improve efficiency when I upgrade to all grain brews.

So is it a case of using Campden tablets does no harm and is advised?

Other similar threads:
Water treatment
Campden tablets
Do I need to treat my water?
does water really matter that much?

This was my areas water report:

Residual chlorine - Total 0.67 mg/l
Residual chlorine - Free 0.55 mg/l

Last edited:
Looks like there is little down side to adding between 1/4 and 1/2 of a Campden tablet to the water before use in the brewing process.

Still interested in what treatments others on the same water supply origin deem necessary.

I haven't used any water treatments, am in east Cheshire most of my water comes from the lake district but can come from other places too apparently.

Have had no issues with my water but I might start adding a crushed Camden tablets just to take away the chlorites.

Back